Best way to share projects between Cubase und ProTools?

TonyS.

www.SoundCollab.com | www.risingstorm-music.com
Feb 13, 2010
Berlin
www.soundcollab.com
In the near future I'm working on a bigger project with different studios.
There are 3 studios involved for:
1. tracking drums
2. tracking everything else + editing, midi composing etc. (me) and
3. Mixing/Mastering

Process:

Me tracking preproductions--SWITCH-->recording drums--SWITCH--> editing, tracking all the other stuff...--SWITCH--> Mixing

The two other studios are working with ProTools. I am a Cubase guy and I really like it... especially for the whole midi(in this case Orchester stuff), so I dont really thinking about changing the DAW. I will also do the whole preproduction with clicktracks, tempotracks with bar-change etc.

Becuase this kind of production will recur many a time, one opinion is to buy a ProTools license, incorporate in it and share the projects directly...

The other way is tracking in Cubase6 and bounce all the shit, drumtracking in ProTools, import in Cubase6 again... but how does this work with the tempotracks etc.?

Whats the best solution, what do you recommend?

^ +1

Just deal with the WAV files only, easiest solution, that's what I do with people I work with on different DAWs (PT, Reaper, Logic - I use Cubase). Tempo information is easy, just make a MIDI track, draw a MIDI event, add a note at the beginning then export that (do that for each song), all other DAWs will read that and the tempo info that it has.

The only thing I would add is to bounce the VSTi's (orchestrations, etc.) that you did in Cubase as wav as well. The MIDI will be there for Pro Tools, but the waves will be much easier to work with and you won't have to tweak whatever virtual instruments they have.

The only thing I would add is to bounce the VSTi's (orchestrations, etc.) that you did in Cubase as wav as well. The MIDI will be there for Pro Tools, but the waves will be much easier to work with and you won't have to tweak whatever virtual instruments they have.

+1

Thanks for the input....I will stay with C6 and bounce all the stuff...will also try the tempo-track with a midi event, but how does this work with bar-changing?

When your map is done, simply create a midi track, create a midi region that match the length of your project (from song start to end) and export midi (including tempo, marker...etc).
On PT, import midi, choose import tempo/marker>done
PT will only import your tempo map as you created it, with marker...etc without importing your midi track on edit window.
If for whatever reason the whole import is done at the begin of the session (example song start at bar one) but you need/want have some extra bar on front of your project (example: have your whole session ruler starting at bar 0 but your song starting at bar 1). Go to event>time operation>move song start>choose bar (by default on mn,s), enter bar where you want move the whole project, renumber this bar (1 for example), and select song start, tempo, meter key > ok. Done
Sound complex like that but everything is done in a couple of seconds.

Hope that help and answer your question. ;)