beta58 for guitar? or impulses?

euga

New Metal Member
Oct 28, 2008
Italy
Hi to all! I'm new... and I'm italian so excuse my bad english...
I found a lot of useful informations on this forum and i love sneap recording's sound so i'm tryin' to improve the crappy recordings i make for my band :)
my vocalist has beta58 wich i found pretty good for vocals... would you use it for cab micing?? the alternative are the crappy shure c606s at the moment.
the guitar amp: sansamp psa1, marshall 8008 poweramp, marshall mc212 2x12 cabinet.
would you use impluses with the sansamp instead? do you have some settings and some impulse that works well with the sansamp?

Il beta 58 dovrebbe lavorare bene, ma ti consiglio sempre il buon vecchio 57 come punto di partenza.........

Il beta 58 dovrebbe lavorare bene, ma ti consiglio sempre il buon vecchio 57 come punto di partenza.........

oh menomale che c'è qualche italiano :)
eh lo so che il 57 sarebbe più indicato, ma la momento non penso di riuscire a prenderlo... tu hai mai provato il beta58 per un ampli?
comunque ho sentito dei bei suoni col sansamp e gli impulsi (vedi la discussione nella sezione rate my tone), secondo te sarebbe meglio provare gli impulsi considerato che finale e cassa non sono qualitativamente eccelsi? (anche se il suono mi piace molto devo dire...)

Se il suono ti piace, prova a microfonare, io non ho mai provato il beta58, probabilmente avrà delle alte più prominenti, quindi prova a metterlo un pò fuori asse....

I'm not italian, but hope I can help :) The microphone has few things that have the biggest impact on their sound and some of them affect each others:

- Microphone type (dynamic/condencer/piezo/ribbon/pzm etc. Examples: Shure SM57, AKG C414, most acoustic gtr mics, Royer R-112, Shure beta 91)
- Size of the capsule diapgram (micro/small/large/huge etc. Examples: lavelier mics, Shure SM57, Neumann U87, Yamaha Subkick)
-
- The polar pattern (omni/cardioid/supercardioid/hypercardioid/8-figure/shotgun/halfcardioid etc. Examples: measurement mics, SM57, Beta 58, Beta 57, AKG C414, videocamera mics, Beta 91)

The Beta 58 otherwise pretty similiar to SM57, but it is supercardioid in pattern and SM57 is cardioid, so its more directional and this means it has more emphasized low end and less accurate sound in "natural way". But because of the size of the windscreen capsule, you have to keep it a bit further away, but you would lose the "in your face" aspect a bit. So you would either have to unscrew the windscreen, but that windscreen has a purpose of keeping the plosives under control, so when you remove it, it would mean that you get even more plosives and emphasized low end. But is it good enought for you? You just have to try it out.

More info on the polar patterns: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone#Microphone_polar_patterns

bella! è pieno di italiani a quanto pare! :D
non l'ho mai provato per mic una cassa, ma secondo me fai prima a prenderti un sm57.. non costan un cazz (90 € tipo) e di sicuro non te ne penti..è davvero un gran bel microfono e ti tornerà sicuramente utile tante volte!

about what I said.. I've never tried it on the cab, but I think that you should buy a sm57 (about 90 €).. they're cheap and i think its never a waste of money..it's a really good mic!

thanks for the help ahj... all i have to do now is try, "in your face" is a good feature for the tone i want... cause we play fuckin' thrash metal ahah... i'll look around for tryin a sm57...

grazie anche ad allu, vedrò di farmi prestare un sm57 e vedo come va...