recommend me a poweramp!

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hey guys,

i'm currently building a rack based around a sansamp psa-1 preamp and a rocktron intellifex. this will be my live rig....the idea is to use it direct whenever the PA is of sufficient size, or use it through the fx return of whatever amp that's available. however, since i'm not a fan of surprises, i'd like to have my own poweramp in the rack, just in case neither of these possibilities work out at a particular gig. i might also use it for band rehearsals etc....

basically, since i'll be using this more as a backup device bang-for-the-buck is the nr1 priority here. i do not need a lot of power or fancy features....all i'm looking for is a decent, cheap poweramp that i can use for band rehearsals and as a backup unit...i'm fine with solid state, seeing how many people recommend a SS poweramp for the sansamp anyways. i'm also considering tube poweramps obviously
right now i'm running it through the fx return of my marshall 2210, and i really love the way it sounds....not quite that impressed with my 5150 for some reason....just fyi.

i'm mainly looking at either a peavey classic 50/50 (although that one is already way oversized for my needs), marshall 20/20, or the rocktron velocity line.
i wonder if anyone has any experience with these, or maybe can recommend me an even better one for my needs?

thanks in advance

my poweramp experiences :

behringer ep-1500 : funny but most fizzfree sounding on low volumes . but weak at every level.

marshall el34 100/100 : best at low volumes. most natural of the 3 . compared to mesa low volume and although crunchy but weaker. ( it has completely free 2 channels )

mesa boogie rectifier stereo 2:100 : Without modern mode it is more natural but thin sounding against marshall and more volume. With modern mode,more bass and presence . Can get hot easily in physical and sound conditions at high volumes. I prefer this one for metal.

I have found Rocktron's Velocity 100 to have no balls. I have a/b it with a preamp through the fx return on my 5150 and the power section of the peavey won big time.

Not sure about the above poweramps but I'm satisfied with my Mesa 50:50. They can be had for pretty cheap as well. (I got mine for 450 euro..and mesa is way overpriced here)

VHT is called Fryette Amplification now, but their products haven't changed since the switch of name unless they introduced anything new.
They are not cheap at all, but you will not hear a bad review of their Two/Ninety/Two.
They are relatively lightweight too for what they are and have enormous headroom

VHT is called Fryette Amplification now, but their products haven't changed since the switch of name unless they introduced anything new.
They are not cheap at all, but you will not hear a bad review of their Two/Ninety/Two.
They are relatively lightweight too for what they are and have enormous headroom

Good idea to mention the name change. I forgot why it happened... wasn't it some copyright issue or some garbage like that?

IIRC AXL sued for intellectual copyright infringements and and basically claimed the VHT name was theirs, and then Steve Fryette decided to change the name to his last name.
VHT do make amps, but they are not the same thing Fryette now make, because Fryette was able to secure and thus keep the original patents, intellectual property etc of all the amps you see on the Fryette website currently that were formerly VHT amps.

This is site you want :http://www.sfdamp.com/default.htm

Avoid this one :http://www.vhtamp.com/ because that's not what you want.

I have the Marshall EL84 20/20.I'm pretty satisfied with the sound,
but i was GASing for a mesa not long ago :loco:

Anybody knows the difference in sound between marshall/mesa/engl/vht power amps.

I mean except reliability and watts (and type of tubes of course),
are there significant changes in sound when you have lets say
a Marshall with EL84s and a Mesa with EL84s.

Does it really worth the money difference?

I own a marshall 9200... I'll keep that thing all my life if I can!!!!

The other guitarist of my band have a Carvin TS100... This power amp rock pretty solid for the money!! If you are on a budget and want something really good check it!!

Jeb