better Gates?

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
Been using ReaGate in Reaper basically any time I need a gate, and I've been having some issues mainly on vocals with it. I think my problem is just because of monitor bleed and that is not a big deal. I was just wondering if there are any free 'better' gates out there, or should I stick with ReaGate? Or actually go out and buy a plugin pack for once? My computer isnt really the greatest so I was kinda waiting on buying plugins and software until I get a new machine.

Also - do you guys edit the silent parts by hand for vocals or use gate?

Is this Gates good enough?
post-59416-1105987549.jpg

I like ReaGate a lot, but you can try Floorfish .

Why use a gate on vocals? :eek: Dude, edit manually! And Reagate is excellent, I'm mixing an album and using the cubase 5 default gate for the hihat track, because on some tracks there's a lot of changes between cymbals and hats and I decided to be a lazy cunt there and it works 100% smoothly, you just gotta tweak it... nothing fancy there to be honest... its just a gate

Another vote here for manually cutting out the bleed. Gates can be tricky especially with static settings, if you insist on using one you may want to use automation but editing out what you don't need is the best way I have found.

Manually drawing clip gain curves with your mouse in Reaper is a breeze! Works so well with vocals.
If you're still too lazy to do this and you want to spend the same time adjusting an automatic Gate-plugin's settings ;-), I haven't yet found a better gate than the one in the Waves SSL E-Channel.