Reaper issue

Shaneg24

New Metal Member
Apr 3, 2011
I'm having an issue with Reaper. I just started using it and I'm getting this weird chopped up signal. My chain looks like this ts808->Presonus Audiobox-> LePous Lecto->LAconvolver (s-preshigh.wav)->ReaGate. Whenever I have the gate on, the audio cuts in and out. If it's at -.03db or lower, it doesn't start until the notes almost done ringing out and if it's above -.03db then it starts to happen as soon as I start playing. Even when I have the gate on, when I palm mute, I can still hear noise. I tried putting the gate before the Lecto and I don't even get any sound. I've posted it in the Reaper forums which seems more appropriate than posting here but Reaper users, help me out!

Thats not a reaper issue, thats a gate issue. try adjusting the threshold and messing around with attack/release settings

The attack and release didn't seem to help when I messed around with it earlier but I'll give it another shot in the morning. Should I also try the lowpass and highpass on the gate? The only thing that makes me think it possibly might be something else is when I have the gate set high but still hear unnecessary hiss when I'm playing. I want it to be dead silent when I'm not playing and I don't even have the gain on the amp sim past 12 o'clock in orange/vintage mode (tube screamer in front of the interface).

I hear that some people prefer to put the gate first in their chain but whenever I do that, I get nothing.

definitely a threshold problem then man. sounds like you need to lower it a lot. the threshold sets at which point the gate will open, the attack, how quickly it opens, and release, how long it stays open after kicking in. if the threshold is too high, the gate doesn't open, and thus, you get no sound.

bring it right down.
do you really need a gate?
i never use one, atleast not whilst tracking
i tend to edit tightly rather than use one post recording

put the gate before lecto

I tried that! It picks up the signal but there's no audio.

I open a track (mono: front left and pan it all the way left), insert the ReaGate VST, then the lecto, then the impulse loader with the s-preshigh. I duplicate the track and pan this one all the way right. Having my rhythm left and rhythm right. Nothing. But if I set the the Lecto first, the impulse loader, then gate, it works but I still need to mess with the gate settings.

Why do people prefer the gate before the amp sim?

I got it all to work fine now but I still need to adjust things to get the sound I want. It will probably take a lot of tweaking haha. Thanks for your help, ahjteam and dankarghh.