Reaper for live automation?

abt

BT
Aug 1, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I want to change fx during live play back, pro tools won't let you use automation with input monitoring. I was thinking reaper because I've been meaning to look at it anyway. Is reaper the go? Even if it was just solo and mute automation that would work. Infact I can see some advantage in using just solo and mute automations as there no latency waiting for a fx preset to load.

Yep, exactly that, changing guitar fx over a backing track. I should have just tested reaper first, seriously would have been quicker than making the post. Sorry, I was just being lazy.

I'm very interested about this since I have a similar idea on mind. I'm just afraid of latency issues. Which Pc and audio interface are you using for that? Are you using the fx loop of an actual amp to run the fx of the DAW or are you using just the computer for the guitars?

Yep, exactly that, changing guitar fx over a backing track. I should have just tested reaper first, seriously would have been quicker than making the post. Sorry, I was just being lazy.

Sorry, I must be a bit stupid, but I still don´t get it. You´re using a pre-recorded DI track as a backing and automating FX on it live? If so, why not just pre-render everything and play it back as a wav or something?

Sorry, I must be a bit stupid, but I still don´t get it. You´re using a pre-recorded DI track as a backing and automating FX on it live? If so, why not just pre-render everything and play it back as a wav or something?

I assume he wants that setup for live situations

I'm very interested about this since I have a similar idea on mind. I'm just afraid of latency issues. Which Pc and audio interface are you using for that? Are you using the fx loop of an actual amp to run the fx of the DAW or are you using just the computer for the guitars?

Whatever latency you can get from your DAW now you should have no trouble getting the same or better with Reaper. The cool thing is that they give you a free trial which lets you test this for no cost.

At some point I'll try it on an old laptop with just a POD GX that I just use for rehearsing as the interface. If that works then it should work on anything. I'm not using an amp in this application just ITB.

No pre recorded DI, just a full backing track without the guitars.

Whatever latency you can get from your DAW now you should have no trouble getting the same or better with Reaper. The cool thing is that they give you a free trial which lets you test this for no cost.

At some point I'll try it on an old laptop with just a POD GX that I just use for rehearsing as the interface. If that works then it should work on anything. I'm not using an amp in this application just ITB.

I already use reaper and it gives me 5.1ms latency with an Intel Core 2 Quad @2,40Ghz. It's not that much but it's enough to make it noticeable while playing.

abt said:

No pre recorded DI, just a full backing track without the guitars.

Ah ok, so it's like keyboards and stuff? But why would you want real time automation? Why can't you just render everything with all the automation beforehand?

Behind said:
I already use reaper and it gives me 5.1ms latency with an Intel Core 2 Quad @2,40Ghz. It's not that much but it's enough to make it noticeable while playing.

5 ms noticeable? Are you kidding? Or maybe it reads 5 but in reality it's much more? I'm pretty sure no one can notice 5 ms of latency, that's not even enough for a fattening delay

Ah ok, so it's like keyboards and stuff? But why would you want real time automation? Why can't you just render everything with all the automation beforehand?

5 ms noticeable? Are you kidding? Or maybe it reads 5 but in reality it's much more? I'm pretty sure no one can notice 5 ms of latency, that's not even enough for a fattening delay

Reaper reads this:

2l9rwo.jpg

Maybe it's closer to 10 than to 5ms but, anyway, latency is really noticeable. I mean, it's subtle but noticeable.

On headphones (or at 0 meters from your ear) 15.1ms is as (un)noticeable as being 340*15.1/1000=5.134 meters from the speaker.

btw. That 5.1 is for input latency and 10 is for output latency, so if you are not using your input, just sending some data from the computer, then there is only the output latency.

Thanks to clarify that!

With these measurements I still get noticeable latency when playing guitar. Obviously it doesn't feel like being 5.134 meters from the speaker. So now I'm completely blown because I have a great latency measurements but I still get a shitty playback when live monitoring. I don't understand it.