Better Time Span 1980 or March 1986-March 1987?

Maybe I'm too nostalgic, but I'd take any year from 80s decade over the last 20 years of music... :erk:
When I think how many great and new stuff appeared regularly back then... *sigh*

I am with you 110% I'm pretty fond of 1979-80, Turned old enough to drive, Saw my first hard rock concert (ac/dc HtH w/Bon) and started playing guitar as well. The whole 80's decade was a lot of fun to be a young adult in... :D I lived in the suburbs of Chicago, and there were SO many gigs to see throughout the year, you had to triage which ones you wanted to see more, because you couldn't possible see them all. LOTS of different venues hosting "our" music as well. I always said I'd love to be 18 again, but I wouldn't want to be 18 NOW, it would have to be back in '82

But when I look at the time span between March 1986 to March 1987 many albums came out that, to me, are the best the bands have released. Master of Puppets, Among the Living, Reign in Blood, Peace Sells.

I didn't really comment on this part of the post, but this WAS a great year, and I was really into all the albums you mention here. I was BLOWN away by Master of Puppets, and I thought Among the Living was amazing too. I was a Slayer fanatic, but believe it or not Reign in Blood didn't live up to Hell Awaits for me. But they were on a major label, and that was pretty strange and amazing.

I am with you 110% I'm pretty fond of 1979-80, Turned old enough to drive, Saw my first hard rock concert (ac/dc HtH w/Bon) and started playing guitar as well. The whole 80's decade was a lot of fun to be a young adult in... :D I lived in the suburbs of Chicago, and there were SO many gigs to see throughout the year, you had to triage which ones you wanted to see more, because you couldn't possible see them all. LOTS of different venues hosting "our" music as well. I always said I'd love to be 18 again, but I wouldn't want to be 18 NOW, it would have to be back in '82

I'm green with envy right now :D
The first gig you've been to and it's ACDC with Bon! :yell::headbang:
It's nice you have had so many opportunities at hand, but I doubt I'd get even a percent of what you've seen had I been a teenager back then.
I was an elementary school kid in the 80s, but boy do I miss that decade... :bah:

I always said I'd love to be 18 again, but I wouldn't want to be 18 NOW, it would have to be back in '82

Same here. These days gigs are expensive and there are some many rules if you want to organize something. Its ridiculous! In the 80s we set up a festival by inviting bands that were friends. Hired a field and had no admission price. Now when I talk with friends that organize festivals its horrible. Bands want loads a cash up front, the paperwork is horrible and then the public is so jaded that you must pray for people to show up.

The whole DIY mentality is gone, not because people don't want to do things on their own it just is not possible anymore.

Same here. These days gigs are expensive and there are some many rules if you want to organize something. Its ridiculous! In the 80s we set up a festival by inviting bands that were friends. Hired a field and had no admission price. Now when I talk with friends that organize festivals its horrible. Bands want loads a cash up front, the paperwork is horrible and then the public is so jaded that you must pray for people to show up.

The whole DIY mentality is gone, not because people do want to do things on their own it just is not possible anymore.

Hawk your post should be cast in stone. Etched in walls of the temple of metal.

Goddamn, I saw it with friends here trying to put a gig of a single band, forget about a festival (one even makes a festival for free in December on a public downtow park, and the bands still complaint because of the time slots, geez...).
Promoters, bands, labels, and even fans are more and more picky and complicated each day. The fun about heavy metal is dying nowdays. I don't want to be 18 again, but if so I want to be in London or Eindhoven :lol: back in 1984.

Hawk, it's not just in Europe that concerts and smaller festivals are suffering. The same happens in Canada (and presumably the US). The rules here are outrageous - insurance, loads of permits, etc. I have a friend who tried to do this very thing locally not too long ago. What he went through gives me a whole new appreciation for Glenn and everyone who puts on PPUSA.

Another huge problem for bands in small-mid sized cities in Canada is that venues who book bands are growing increasingly scarce while at the same time the public actually wanting to attend shows put on by smaller bands is dwindling. Dance clubs took over a decade ago, and when you can pay a DJ the salary of an employee, why shell out a couple hundred dollars for a band who might not bring in a crowd?

Think about it: if you can see Metallica, Iron Maiden, Priest, etc. etc. once a year, why spend a couple of bucks to watch the locals? Most of us in decent sized cities have become so spoiled in seeing the big acts that most can't be bothered to support the smaller groups in any meaningful way. It's created an unnatural balance. Groups like Maiden and Metallica are getting old and there doesn't seem to be any bands coming through the ranks with that kind of power to unify a genre any more.

Most of us in decent sized cities have become so spoiled in seeing the big acts that most can't be bothered to support the smaller groups in any meaningful way.

Most but not all. I wish we had something like FS around. I gladly pay anyday to see a band like yours locally than a big band that requires a huge venue, charges are insane, the security sucks, etc.

I kinda surmised that poundingmetal74. But I did not want to speak about a situation I was not familiar with.

I guess what Glenn is doing is unique. That's why I am hoping to be there next year in September.

Now nothing is a 100% sure but I am going to try. Not just for the music but also because I want to meet my American/Canadian/Puerto Rican friends. Some of who I have known via the Internet since 1991!

Most people are going to be picking their fave year when they were say in high school etc. it is normal. Metal music was fresh to us, we were more influenced by it yada yada. Each "era" of the 80's really had it's moments.

Early 80's saw the NWOBHM (though it started in the late 70's)
mid 80's saw the LA scene and American powermetal.
Late 80's saw thrash wide open and the emergence of prog-metal

It is hard to pick a year for me, but 1989 was pretty good. I turned 21 that year.

Metal Church - "Blessing in Disguise" was released.
Wrathchild America - "Climbing the Walls"
Powermad - "Absolute Power"
Onslaught - "In Search of Sanity"
Motley Crue's - Dr. Feelgood hit #1 on the album charts
Overkill - "The Years of Decay"
Testament - "Practice What You Preach"
Wasp - "The Headless Children"
Tesla - "The Great Radio Contrversy"
Skid Row - S/T
Savatage - "Gutter Ballet"
Fates Warning - "Perfect Symmetry"
Coroner - "No More Color"
Black Sabbath - "Headless Cross" (Love Tony Martin)
Blue Murder - S/T

I am sure I am missing many. That was a good year for metal.

Bryant

Metal Church - "Blessing in Disguise" was released.
Testament - "Practice What You Preach"
Skid Row - S/T
Coroner - "No More Color"
Black Sabbath - "Headless Cross" (Love Tony Martin)
Blue Murder - S/T
Bryant

Nice calls. Great to see some love for Blue Murder :Smokedev:

Look what I found in the attic:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/old-school/511983-top-10-albums-80s.html
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/old-school/517755-top-10-live-albums-80s.html
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/old-school/546061-rare-80s-underground-thread.html

Nice calls. Great to see some love for Blue Murder :Smokedev:

Look what I found in the attic:

l

Ha ha ha cool threads you linked there. I remember those. We definitely have some different tastes, but some quite the same as well. I suppose You do realize all of those releases were from 1989 that I listed right ? I was, myself a little off-topic, but 1989 gets looked over too much.
I did my best to get you and Hawk into the new Vanden Plas, but no go. Oh well, maybe I will try again in four years when they release their next one. >:p~

Bryant

I guess what Glenn is doing is unique. That's why I am hoping to be there next year in September.

Now nothing is a 100% sure but I am going to try. Not just for the music but also because I want to meet my American/Canadian/Puerto Rican friends. Some of who I have known via the Internet since 1991!

I'm hoping it works out for you Henri, that would ROCK! :tickled:
I think Glenn has an ever evolving "system" to maintain his festival longevity. I really hope it does well this year and next, because he has always said he won't lose money on the fest, and would rather go out on a high note, rather than sell off the fest, or let it degrade over time. If I was let go from the crew, I would still attend PPUSA annually because it is THAT special to me.

I'm green with envy right now :D
The first gig you've been to and it's ACDC with Bon! :yell::headbang:
It's nice you have had so many opportunities at hand, but I doubt I'd get even a percent of what you've seen had I been a teenager back then.
I was an elementary school kid in the 80s, but boy do I miss that decade... :bah:

Right age, right time, it's all luck! :devil: Seriously, when all the bands were hitting the road, it was sometimes chaotic in trying to plan what you wanted to see. There were multiple clubs to go to, it really was a good time.

The whole DIY mentality is gone, not because people don't want to do things on their own it just is not possible anymore.

AC/DC & Pat Travers was $8.50 USD back in 1979. A large beer in some venues costs you that much today. :ill:

Unless I was independantly wealthy, I doubt I'd ever try my hand at a festival. The costs involved are outrageous, and seems like some of the fan apathy is still an issue. I think a lot has to do with the economy, plus trying to keep a festival "fresh". I remember the first pile of PPUSAs that sold out. The fanbase was HUNGRY for this kind of thing. Now it almost seems as if we're spoiled over here now.....