Dio's reign 1975 - 1984: does it outshine any decade by Maiden, Priest, etc.?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
During the course of ten years, Ronnie James Dio was a central figure in an exceptional run of incredible music, by Rainbow, Black Sab & solo:

1975 Blackmore's Rainbow
1976 Rainbow Rising
1977 Rainbow On Stage (live)
1978 Long Live Rock n Roll
1980 Heaven and Hell
1981 Mob Rules
1982/83 Live Evil
1983 Holy Dive
1984 Last in Line

In my view, this 'era' in his career is unparalleled and overshadows any other 10-year span by any other metal artist.

Priest comes very close between the years of 1976-1984 (Sad Wings thru Defenders). However, the weakness of "Point of Entry" take it's toll.

Maiden dominated between 1980-1988 with the debut through 7th Son, but, as much as I adore them, today I find the Dio era to more "exciting".

Other great bands, such as Accept (1981-1986), Slayer (1983-1990), Metallica (1983-1991), Ozzy-era Sabbath (1970-1976), etc., all had great runs, but, IMO, don't live up to Dio's run.

What are your thoughts?
Which band do you think has most dominated a ten-year stretch?

It truly is a spectacular career, personally I'd say it's on par with Priest and Maiden. They were doing slightly different things - ok, it's all classic Heavy Metal, but they had their own particular little sounds, styles, which I'd say compliment each other in making a classic era for Metal in general.
But a damn point SM!

You make an excellent point SoundMaster... I think I'd definately take the prime-era Dio over Maiden or Priest

Well, I've gotta admit, Soundmaster, the Dio era you speak of is very impressive indeed. One would have a hard time arguing against it. However, for my tastes, the longest running era of high quality music goes to Savatage. They started the five-star albums with Hall of the Mountain King in 1987 and their stellar catalogue runs right up through Poets and Madmen in 2001.

Granted, I may be biased since Savatage is my all time fav band, but between 87 and 01 they never released a single album that was below 4 and a half stars. And their earlier efforts were pretty damn good too!

Jon and Criss Oliva sit on a pedastal in my hallowed halls.

It's a tough call, but that's saying a lot in itself. The bad Dio stuff is bad enough to state that "overall" Maiden's (etc.) career has been better. But, I think in the window you've stated above, it's pretty much a tie. Had he quit after these albums his legacy would already have been assured. The fact that he's gone on (to lesser effect, though not pathetic) means he's an uber-legend.

I'd say it's a tie.

Oh, and since you came up with an alternate, Trans-Sib, I"ll opt for an extended version of the above mentioned Sabbath run. I know that Technical Ecstacy and Never Say Die are somewhat questionable (but still very good, methinks), but I think the single greatest run in metal is the first Sabbath through Born again, which, interestingly enough, cross-sections the Dio stuff, what with Heaven And Hell and all that......

Yeah, I'd agree with that Wiz. When I think Sabbath, I think the debut through Born Again as well. That's a thirteen year span of killer albums. They certainly deserve a mention!

And, although they're hard rock rather than metal, I think Blue Oyster Cult deserves a nod for putting out consistently great albums throughout the 70s and 80s.

I overlooked Savatage! True, their reign of greatness began, IMO, in 1987 with "MOuntain King" and continues to this day. I love everything they've done during this period. My only gripe is with the amount of time between releases (1997 Megellan, 2001 Poets, 2005 ??)

Another band that had an incredible ten-year run is Queensryche. Beginning with the 1983 EP, and concluding with 1994's "Promised Land", they were at the top of their game (although I understand that many fans dislike Promised Land).
Anyway, any decade that yields "The Warning", "Operation Mindcrime" and "Rage for Order" is amazing.:worship:

As big of a fan as I am of Judas Priest and their incredible run, I am going to have to agree with Dio's run being superior on this one. Dio is my favorite all-time singer and those albums are some of my favorites in my entire collection.

Sabbath's post-Ozzy run is a very impressive one, IMO. From 1980's Heaven and Hell all the way to 1994's Cross Purposes, and not one bad album in between. THAT is hard to do.

And for me, I know alot of people are gonna disagree with me, but screw you all, Priest's run started with 1976's Sad Wings of Destiny and ended with 1990's Painkiller. That's counting, Point Of Entry, that's coutning Turbo and that's counting Ram It Down. There is a reason why i consider Judas Priest my favorite band of all time.

Maidens run was 1980-1992 including No Prayer For the Dying and Fear Of The Dark, which I like just as much as the other ones. I also like their sound the most so they dominated it for me. I haven't heard all of Priest albums yet, but if they are all just as good as stained class,hellbent, screaming, british steel, and live, I'd say them.

Hey, Tran Sib.., Where are you in AZ? I lived in Tucson for a long time and still have a lot of family there. Saw a bunch of metal shows in both Phoenix and Tucson (back in the day) - Slayer, Flotsam and Jetsam, Fates Warning, etc. etc. Most recently I came back to go with a friend to see A Perfect Circle and The Mars Volta in Phoenix....that was last March.

SoundMaster said:
During the course of ten years, Ronnie James Dio was a central figure in an exceptional run of incredible music, by Rainbow, Black Sab & solo:

What are your thoughts?
Which band do you think has most dominated a ten-year stretch?

I think both Dio and Accept were superior to Priest and Maiden. It is simply personal taste and nothing more, as well as no disrespect for the legends that Priest and Maiden were/are. I simply liked Dio and Accept better. In the mid-80's the two were my top two bands.
As far as "dominating" I think Priest and Maiden probably sold more releases than Dio and Accept, which means they probably influenced more people, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't think they were significant more dominant or influential.
In my personal listening experience, Accept and Dio dominated the early-middle 80's. Priest, Maiden, Yngwie, Scorpions, AC/DC, Sabbath (other than Dio era,) and Ozzy were always around as well, but Accept, Yngwie and Dio "dominated" my cassette deck.

Bryant

ElectricWiz said:
It's a tough call, but that's saying a lot in itself. The bad Dio stuff is bad enough to state that "overall" Maiden's (etc.) career has been better. But, I think in the window you've stated above, it's pretty much a tie. Had he quit after these albums his legacy would already have been assured. The fact that he's gone on (to lesser effect, though not pathetic) means he's an uber-legend.

I'd say it's a tie.

Disagree! Except for the Tracy G albums, I think Dio's whole career has been solid.

ElectricWiz said:
Hey, Tran Sib.., Where are you in AZ? I lived in Tucson for a long time and still have a lot of family there. Saw a bunch of metal shows in both Phoenix and Tucson (back in the day) - Slayer, Flotsam and Jetsam, Fates Warning, etc. etc. Most recently I came back to go with a friend to see A Perfect Circle and The Mars Volta in Phoenix....that was last March.

Hey Wiz, I live in Casa Grande, about halfway between Phoenix and Tucson. I lived in Phoenix all thru the 90s and saw my share of concerts as well, including the three you mentioned! Saw Slayer at a disco dance club that I can't remember the name of, Studio 69 or something like that. They stopped the show when Arraya got pissed off at a security guy. Saw Fates and Flotsam at the Mason Jar. Got all of Fates autographs on my No Exit album when I saw them. I actually knew a couple guys in Flotsam because they used to come in the 7-11 where I worked all the time.

very interesting thread ....I have to agree Dios run is impressive owning all the albums from Rainbow to sabbath to solo and Im still playing them frequently. Would have to think Iron Maidens run developing there sound and fanbase with the first 2 albums and solidifying it forever with NOTB pretty much puts them in the same league as far as quality of the music in there 10 year period. I have never looked at his career in that scope but when looking at all The great Rainbow records the 3 sabbath records and the great first 2 solo records i would have to agree DIOs run is awesome.

sad his popularity is reduced to playing smaller clubs being a support act here in the states, its almost insulting looking at the great music he has been involved in

Indeed interesting thread. I would like to throw Michael Schenker into the mix. From the Scorps Lonesome Crow, all the UFO albums he played on. His bit part on Lovedrive and the first three MSG albums. Roughly 72 to 83. I can't think of many rock guitar players that were so innovative and succussful. Expecially during the 70's where he really broke new ground by breaking out of blues based rock and adding classical and bits of jazz.

For my post I might need to run and hide. I've never liked Dio much. He has only few songs which I like (the classics), I dislike his vocals, I dislike most of his albums and I dislike him singing in Black Sabbath. So to me, Dio is nothing compared to Priest and Maiden