Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
Forbidden - Forbidden Evil
Elvenking - Heathenreel
Shaman - Ritual
Angra - Angels Cry
Heathen - Breaking the Silence
Nuclear Assault - Game Over

I figure that a debut album is just that: the first album released by a musical act. I don't care if Ronnie James Dio released a ton of albums before going solo. His first album is still the debut Dio album, and that's what matters to me. By the way, both that album and the debut Rainbow album own most other debuts. Here's a list of my other picks:

Angra--Angels Cry (One of the most unique progressive/power metal debuts in history)

Ark--Ark (One of the quirkiest, most intelligent, and most stunning debuts ever)

Circus Maximus--The 1st Chapter (Some of the best songwriting I've ever heard on a debut)

Crimson Glory--Crimson Glory (A true 80s gem)

Dream Theater--When Dream And Day Unite (I know that this one is always up for debate, but if you look past the production, you'd be hard pressed to find better songwriting and musicianship on a debut album)

Firehouse--Firehouse (Say what you want, but you'll never hear a better hard rock debut anywhere. The musicianship and songwriting is some of the best you'll hear in the genre, and the vocal harmonies are out of this world)

Marillion--Script For A Jester's Tear (This is the kind of material you would expect to hear from a band that's been releasing a string of increasingly mature albums. To this day, it's my favorite Fish-era album)

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Ummm.... Hows about some SKID ROW????? Or maybe some Too Fast for Love? I also love Van Halen's self-titled as well as KISS. And to round it out at as a top five faves, I gotta go with Look What the Cat Dragged in... Call me gay, but I love that album!

Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare
Forbidden - Forbidden Evil
Elvenking - Heathenreel
Shaman - Ritual
Angra - Angels Cry
Heathen - Breaking the Silence
Nuclear Assault - Game Over

With a list including a few of the bay area thrash bands, I'm surprised that you didn't mention the greatest debut of all time....

Death Angel "The Ultra Violence"

Also...
Salty Dog "Every Dog Has Its Day"
Fear "The Record"
Zen "Gaze Into The Light
Empty Tremor "Apocowhateverthefuckitscalled"
Pathosray
Lemur Voice

I'm only gonna mention albums that actually have to do with our scene (unlike most people in the thread). That way, it actually keeps this interesting to read in my opinion, as opposed to another hundred debut albums that are being suggested.

Future's End - Memoirs of a Broken Man
Riverside - Out of Myself
Leprous - Tall Poppy Syndrome
Angra - Angels Cry
Shaman - Ritual
Beyond Twilight - The Devil's Hall of Fame
Hibria - Defying the Rules
Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide
Gamma Ray - Heading for Tomorrow
Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica
Rhapsody - Legendary Tales

I'm only gonna mention albums that actually have to do with our scene (unlike most people in the thread). That way, it actually keeps this interesting to read in my opinion, as opposed to another hundred debut albums that are being suggested.

Future's End - Memoirs of a Broken Man
Riverside - Out of Myself
Leprous - Tall Poppy Syndrome
Angra - Angels Cry
Shaman - Ritual
Beyond Twilight - The Devil's Hall of Fame
Hibria - Defying the Rules
Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide
Gamma Ray - Heading for Tomorrow
Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica
Rhapsody - Legendary Tales

Our scene??? You drop your list with power metal, progressive metal, speed metal and space out prog like Riverside and don't consider some of the others that are being mentioned as part of our scene? Your list is varied with forms of metal that you like, but you criticize other lists as not being part of the scene? Our scene started in the 80's with hard rock, thrash, hair metal etc...and grew from there.

I remember my first "prog experience" was Watchtower "Control & Resistance", but what road led me to like that form of music? Everything that came before the bands that we consider part of our scene has to be included, as each band and disc led us down the roads we travelled to get from there to here.

Just my 2 cents...carry on

Our scene??? You drop your list with power metal, progressive metal, speed metal and space out prog like Riverside and don't consider some of the others that are being mentioned as part of our scene?

Yes, I tried to keep it within our scene - in the ProgPower USA context. If you noticed, most bands I listed are bands that have or would get a shot at playing ProgPower.

TwizstedJesus said:
Your list is varied with forms of metal that you like, but you criticize other lists as not being part of the scene? Our scene started in the 80's with hard rock, thrash, hair metal etc...and grew from there.

Please quote me exactly where I criticized other lists. All I said was that I thought the thread became less interesting because there were too many debut albums by too many bands that whether you like it or not, are IRRELEVANT to the ProgPower festival and the Prog-Power scene nowadays. To me, it became boring. It was just another list of 100s of albums that I may or may have not checked, and that in a lot of instance, I probably wouldn't. Believe me, I know where our scene started and where it came from. You don't need to teach me that. :)

TwizstedJesus said:
I remember my first "prog experience" was Watchtower "Control & Resistance", but what road led me to like that form of music? Everything that came before the bands that we consider part of our scene has to be included, as each band and disc led us down the roads we travelled to get from there to here.
Just my 2 cents...carry on

Just because a band served as an influence, or it was considered a "stepping stone" for a following band's sound, doesn't necessarily put them in the same scene. A lot of Prog Metal bands cite Yes as an influence. Would you really (I mean, really) put them in the Progressive Metal scene? It's one thing to be influenced and be taken to the genre because of a band - to call them part of the same scene just because is a whole different story.

Ok, I read into your post, and there was only a "perceived" criticism.
But...

Our scene in the ProgPower context?

PC 69...'nuff said

So much of what's been posted goes back to the 80s, so possibly that's clouded my judgment. But right now my top five would be:

Yngwie Rising Force*
Silver Mountain Shakin' Brains
Satan Court in the Act
Queensryche The Warning
Loudness Birthday Eve

(What is the html code for y-umlaut?)

* Is this a debut? Hmmm. If not, replace with Queen I, or Engine.

Great list. Especially like the Silver Mountain reference. One of my all time favorite Swedish bands ( together with Overdrive & 220 Volts).
My absolute fav. debut is Dio - Holy Diver. I still consider that album one of the ( if not the ) best album ever.
Others include:
Marillion - Script...
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Hawkwind - Hawkwind

Don't know if I could narrow it to 5 but some of my favorites would include

Boston - Boston (nothing could even touch this IMO)
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced.
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin 1
Lynyrd Skynyrd -pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd)
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Oz
Metallica - Kill Em All
Metal Church - Metal Church
Van Halen - Van Halen
Iron Angel - Hellish Crossfire
Grave Digger - Heavy Metal Breakdown

This.

Plus Rush - s/t and Jacob's Dream - s/t....

679342.jpg

1205.angelwitch.jpg

676.jpg

blacksabbath.jpg

Danzig_danzig.jpg

MercyfulFate-Melissa.jpg

83f8dfae22e05c9b9acf4b532c4d37ea.jpg

4863.trouble-psalm-9.jpg