Beyer m160 Ribbon

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
recently I've tried different mics and combinations again (wanted to have some fresh tones again....as much as I love the 1x57 I think I should try some other combinations in addition to that again).

helped by the royer-thread I remembered how much I used to love the m160 on distorted guitars and just gave it a go again....man, that mic sounds SO fantastic!
granted, it's got (like all ribbon-mics) a strong proximity effect, but that can be dealt with.....it's so full sounding and so detailed in the highs w/o ever getting harsh...it just sounds really wide and "expensive"
it sounds great very close but as well in 1m distance to the cab...and anywhere in between.
it's also a good match paired with an sm57....

I've been using it for almost all my clean guitars, but I don't know why I stopped using it for distorted guits (k, for really fast and tight stuff it might be too "full" sounding...at least as the only mic on the cab) and I'll definitely be using it more often again in the future.

I'll try to find the time tomorrow to record some clips for you (sm57, e906, m160, 421)

perhaps various distances...

anyone else tried that mic?

si senor, the m160 is a top-address cardioid

and definitely post clips...i've been trying to decide on whether i should spring for a cascade fathead, or save some $$ for a 160 down the road...

si senor, the m160 is a top-address cardioid

and definitely post clips...i've been trying to decide on whether i should spring for a cascade fathead, or save some $$ for a 160 down the road...

Thanks man...So like a SM57 basically??

I'm more interested in ribbons lately. I really want to try the Peluso one.

-Joe

pretty much

there's also a couple other similar beyer ribbons that are fig-8...i think the M130 and M260, but i'm pretty sure the M160 is the cardioid one

yeah, front-adrressed hypercardioid.

clips today

EDIT:
I've actually recorded something, but I don't really wanna post it cause I have to figure out a way to make it somehow a "fair" comparison.
Now I've just put the mic in the very same position, but that doesn't do some of the mics justice cause they's usually be used in a different position, so this test wouldn't really show anything.

the closer the mics get to the grill the more the results differ.....actually it might be good to just put the mics in about 1m distance from the cab pointing at the middle of the cab, should give a better comparison (although not the best tone for metal of course).

yeah, front-adrressed hypercardioid.

clips today

EDIT:
I've actually recorded something, but I don't really wanna post it cause I have to figure out a way to make it somehow a "fair" comparison.
Now I've just put the mic in the very same position, but that doesn't do some of the mics justice cause they's usually be used in a different position, so this test wouldn't really show anything.

the closer the mics get to the grill the more the results differ.....actually it might be good to just put the mics in about 1m distance from the cab pointing at the middle of the cab, should give a better comparison (although not the best tone for metal of course).

Lasse,

In this case I don't think it matters if the mics are in the exact same position, since a ribbon would most likely not be in the exact same position as a dynamic.

Maybe just post the SM57 and ribbon together, then just solo the ribbon track in another clip??

Just my $.02

-Joe

Lasse,

In this case I don't think it matters if the mics are in the exact same position, since a ribbon would most likely not be in the exact same position as a dynamic.

I agree... the best comparison, I think, would be the best sound you can get from each mic, since the application would vary.

Whoa, hypercardioid? I didn't think ribbons could be anything but figure-8, but I guess if it's front address then the mic body gets in the way of that...

If you made a few I.R.s through a V30 and and the m160 and posted them here that would kick ass.

definetly, can't wait for some awesome md421 IR's.. or are there already out there somewhere on here? let me know!

recently I've tried different mics and combinations again (wanted to have some fresh tones again....as much as I love the 1x57 I think I should try some other combinations in addition to that again).

helped by the royer-thread I remembered how much I used to love the m160 on distorted guitars and just gave it a go again....man, that mic sounds SO fantastic!
granted, it's got (like all ribbon-mics) a strong proximity effect, but that can be dealt with.....it's so full sounding and so detailed in the highs w/o ever getting harsh...it just sounds really wide and "expensive"
it sounds great very close but as well in 1m distance to the cab...and anywhere in between.
it's also a good match paired with an sm57....

I've been using it for almost all my clean guitars, but I don't know why I stopped using it for distorted guits (k, for really fast and tight stuff it might be too "full" sounding...at least as the only mic on the cab) and I'll definitely be using it more often again in the future.

I'll try to find the time tomorrow to record some clips for you (sm57, e906, m160, 421)

perhaps various distances...

anyone else tried that mic?

The Beyer m160 is a great microphone. Last year in my class we tested out and compared a Royer 121, a Beyer m160 and a T-bone RB500 on a fender twin reverb. My friend was playing some AC/DC style riffs through the amp.

The Royer 121 sounded nice, a good flat frequency response. The Royer 121 would be better if you wanted to capture an instrument without colouring it.
The Beyer m160 was my favourite for this situation. It gave the guitar a crunchier tone, far more edgy than the Royer. I guess it could sound pretty good on distorted guitars.
The t-bone RB500 didn't impress me much compared to the other two (I guess you get what you pay for).

aaaw c'mon

heroin_gallery_10-a.jpg

Don't hold out on me man!

I gotta say, this mic may be great on a lot of things, but WOW, clean vocals is not one of 'em - we tried it on a couple of singers in my Audio Arts Production IV group, and it just sounded super lo-fi, with no crispness or air, and was just generally awful. FYI!

I gotta say, this mic may be great on a lot of things, but WOW, clean vocals is not one of 'em - we tried it on a couple of singers in my Audio Arts Production IV group, and it just sounded super lo-fi, with no crispness or air, and was just generally awful. FYI!

Dude, add a nice analog EQ to the signal chain and turn up the high shelf...

Ribbons take EQ really well, I never expect them to sound 100% what i want by themselves, without EQ.