Royer r121 vs Beyer m160 on guitars

115 dB SPL is a lot. I like to push the power section of my amps and get some air moving with the speakers, but based on my previous tests, I'm quite sure I'm not exceeding 100 dB SPL.

Anyway, now I'm afraid of damaging the ribbon element :lol:, so next time I'll check again with my sound level meter.

115 dB SPL is a lot. I like to push the power section of my amps and get some air moving with the speakers, but based on my previous tests, I'm quite sure I'm not exceeding 100 dB SPL.

idk man, i once threw a db meter in front of my ampeg vl-1002/marshall 4x12 half stack and was hitting 127....!!

Thanks for the interesting shootout. I prefer the M160 in these clips, and I'm actually glad because I was GASing for both of them really hard and now I only want to get the Beyerdynamic sometime in the future (Though I'm sure the R-121 GAS will come back soon, haha).

the M160 might be preferred by many on guitars in that comparison, but the royers are just such ridiculously natural sounding and versatile mics that it's really worth it for anyone to have around if they can afford it. probably the most beautiful recorded sound i've ever heard was a 121 into a 1073 on a steinway D piano...i just wanted to cream myself it sounded so close to standing next to the piano itself

the M160 might be preferred by many on guitars in that comparison, but the royers are just such ridiculously natural sounding and versatile mics that it's really worth it for anyone to have around if they can afford it. probably the most beautiful recorded sound i've ever heard was a 121 into a 1073 on a steinway D piano...i just wanted to cream myself it sounded so close to standing next to the piano itself

I agree, especially with the 300Ω setting on the 1073 it sounds fantastic

used it on this one:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/791876-clip-apogee-ad16x-vs-digidesign-192-a.html