2 channel Recto Tone test : Royer R121/SM57

Wait...so the Orange channel in "variable high gain" mode you mean? Or did you use the channel cloning switch to clone the red channel to the orange?

If you've never tried it you're in for a suprise. Looking at it from the back push both switches all the way to the left. Behold the most fatass Recto tones the world has to offer. :heh:

Best kept 2 channel secret out there. Sure a lot know but with the thousands sold I'm guessing most haven't tried it or realized what was going on. :headbang:

Yeah, I remember the manual mentioning something about both presence knobs being active - I'll have to give it a go! But were you on the top channel or the bottom? Cuz if you were on the top, having the red channel cloned to Orange (pushing the switch left) wouldn't make any difference...

Yeah, I remember the manual mentioning something about both presence knobs being active - I'll have to give it a go! But were you on the top channel or the bottom? Cuz if you were on the top, having the red channel cloned to Orange (pushing the switch left) wouldn't make any difference...

You're right. I'm just used to having both channels dirty.

I like the 75% Royer clip although all of them sounds great.

Hey J.Davis, keep an eye on craigslist in Philly. Saw a rack Recto going for about a grand last week. it's gone but they do show up sometimes. Mine is the greatest amp I've ever owned.
\

Thanks for the heads up dude! Right now I'm between aquring a shred axe (ESP Horizon NT-II), or an amp. We practice at an hourly space, so I don't need anything for the band at the moment.

-Joe

Like I mentioned on GS, the Royer is really impressive here. It's a bit weak in the lower mids, but it doesn't have that fuzz and nasalness that the 57 does, so the tone sounds more balanced, focused and somewhat more 'mix-ready'.

Shame those bastards cost so much... I'll see if I can convince Pony Music to buy one :lol:

Having never owned a Recto this whole 'channel cloning/variable high gain mode' thing is beyond me. Anybody care to explain how that whole deal functions, and why the amp has so many variables that aren't immediately noticeable without reading the manual ahead of time?

Well the channel cloning/multiple modes is only on the two-channel models, but basically it means that there are 3 distinct channels available on the amp (clean, vintage/variable high-gain, and modern high-gain), and any two can be footswitched between (or you can duplicate one of those channels). So in other words, you have two footswitchable channels (and sets of tone knobs), that I'll call top and bottom. Normally, the top is either clean or vintage high gain (controlled by switch #1 on the back), and the bottom is modern high gain. However, with switch #2 on the back, you can either a) make the top channel modern, b) make them both normal, or c) make the bottom channel vintage. But the thing is, the controls aren't totally independent of their channels, which means when you make the bottom channel (normally modern) vintage (with switch #2 option c), for some reason the presence knobs on both channels are apparently active, which is supposed to yield more tonal possibilities (perhaps think of it as channel 3.5) - I have yet to mess with it, but will soon!