BFD drums and a PC!

seba_never

Death Metaller
Oct 22, 2006
Southern Poland, EU
www.never.pl
Hi,

What soundcard would you suggest to buy to use BFD Drum VSti without any problems when using plugins to process particular drum pieces, for example: compressors, EQs (kicks, snare etc)

I'm thinking of E-MU 1616m PCi.... 2GB RAM, and Pentium 4 3.0GHz.... (my motherboard has socket 478). Whatya think?

Whatever. It's about CPU power and RAM amount, not about soundcard.
Check their system requirements and see for yourself.

Check their system requirements and see for yourself.

Not exactly!
It's not only about standalone BFD..... I use BFD Ultra to have each kit piece on different mix channel.... so U can process each of them separately...
The problem is that my PC runs with about 90% CPU load and crashes form time to time when I use for example different compression on kick, snare and toms....

So, I need a pro sundcard to have hardware DSP plugins... they don't kill CPU...

Now I unfortunatelly use Audigy2 ZS, P4 1.6, 2GB of RAM ....it's more than recomended by FxPansion.... but .... to work correctly with realtime drum piece processing I'd have to use external processors/compressors etc instead of directX or VST plugins....

Shit! heheh now I confused myselft ;);) :p
I hope I get what I mean... (BTW: my english sucks;))

Actually, not 100% true.

The EMU cards have DSP chips and as his question was

"What soundcard would you suggest to buy to use BFD Drum VSti without any problems when using plugins to process particular drum pieces, for example: compressors, EQs (kicks, snare etc)"

So technically, using included EMU FX VSTs (inc. some compressors and Eq's) on the DSP chips on the 1616m could actually be of much use if CPU power is low.

That's not the answer to my question :))
But... if you started now you say why?

I've tried DFHS the other day and.... I think BFD beats it easily.

I just feel that DKFHS has far more tweakability and better quality of samples. A personal choice, i guess :)

And damnit, he beat me to it :lol:

Final point though bro, AS FAR AS I KNOW! The EMU cards DSP chips only run EMU plugins, so you're limited to what they offer and i'm not sure of their quality.

Get anything that is not an audigy and you should be in buisness...

EDIT: By the DFHS owns BFD

Actually, not 100% true.

The EMU cards have DSP chips and as his question was

"What soundcard would you suggest to buy to use BFD Drum VSti without any problems when using plugins to process particular drum pieces, for example: compressors, EQs (kicks, snare etc)"

So technically, using included EMU FX VSTs (inc. some compressors and Eq's) on the DSP chips on the 1616m could actually be of much use if CPU power is low.
Mmmm. Ok... Well...

So, ... what would you suggest instead of E-MU?
It would be great if the soundcard could use any plugins with its DSP....

To be honest, bro. My next soundcard was gonna be an EMU 16/16m or the 18/18m for connectivity. Dunno about the quality of the inlcuded plugs though.

I've got a Delta 1010 soundcard and I use BFD with no problems. I must say though that BFD is horrid for metal. Absolute garbage.......but that's just my opinion. Test BFD for a month and DFHS for a month and take the Pepsi challenge.

Reactions: Sweetnothing
Fuck! It may help :) Anyone have any experiences working with that shit? :)

...but I think I'm looking for just a high-end PRO soundcard... if such a crap exists ;) I wanna spend no more than $1000... if it's possible....

You are thinking way to much about this. Any decent soundcard and decent pc will run BFD. Shit a delta 2496 will run BFD as long as the PC is up to snuff.

Get this, Universal Audio UAD1E EXPRESS.

Use this cards plugins instead of your existing plugins and it'll reduce youre cpu load dramatically, obviously the sequencer you use has some effect on cpu load, depends which sequencer you use. Although it helps to have a pro soundcard that has Asio 2.0 and zero latency support, a pro audio interface isnt going to solve your woes. Last time i checked Emu werent " Pro " i'd say more " intermediate ".

Pro audio interfaces are bought for their quality ad/da convertors and mic pres e.t.c, not because your beloved BFD isnt working how you would like.

With the UAD Express, you'll be able to use multiple routing in your sequencer AND process each channel with the plugins provided.