Bias mod for 5150

Andy Sneap

Metal Guru
Apr 17, 2002
at home
andysneap.com
seeing as we seem to have lost the ability to search on ultimate metal, anyone got the link for that 5150 bias mod that was posted on here a few weeks back?? Thanks in advance.

I did a google search, but i don't remember the exact thing so i couldn't find it.

i did however find this picture!

5150ex-a.JPG

Look at that fucking "beauty"! :lol:

If I'm not mistaken, you can get around a cold fixed bias problem by installing tubes that have a lower plate current instead of modding/adding a bias control.

Eurotubes sells tube kit "mods" for the 5150 based on that principle, or you could email the Tubestore (or other reputable tube dealers) and they could get you the same thing with other brands of tubes besides JJ.

http://www.tubestore.com/perfectpair.html

In a few weeks andy I'll do the bias mod, here costs something like 60 euros
my mod includes tester points on the back of the amp(trim pot for bias as well), this is important if you want to DIY the bias adjustment, beacuse if you don't have that points for tester you have to use that kind of kit that groove tubes sells http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1191 it includes the tube socket adapter for taking the plate current of the tube.
I'll post a clip before and after the mod

Maurizio

Andy Sneap said:
cool, thanks guys. Hey Kaomao, is it the eurotubes mod you're doing??

No andy, no eurotubes mod, a tech here in Milan will do a mod very similar.
With this mod you got three test points instead of two, 1 common ground and 2 positives (I mean 1 positive for each couple of tubes so 2 positives), and so I'll have 2 knobs for bias adjustment.
check this out this is the manual of randall mt50, the mod is like the bias test points in that head, on page 10-11 you find how to change bias.
And this is a movie about the back pannel of randall mts 100w head, there are 4 bias adjustment so you can plug totally unmatched tubes, no problem finding good quartet, no problem if atube fails etc etc.
www.voodooamps.com do heavy amp mod, they remove buzziness and a lot of other things but is not cheap 350$, 60/70eur (40-50£) euros is a good price just for bias mod.

Maurizio

kaomao said:
www.voodooamps.com do heavy amp mod, they remove buzziness and a lot of other things but is not cheap 350$, 60/70eur (40-50£) euros is a good price just for bias mod.

Maurizio

Be careful what you send to Voodoo Amps. What they do is basically rip things out of the amp and replace it with their own specs instead of keeping the amp's individual characteristics in tact. Whether you send them a 5150, a Recto, a DSL 100, etc...they will all come back sounding nearly identical.

silverwulf said:
Be careful what you send to Voodoo Amps. What they do is basically rip things out of the amp and replace it with their own specs instead of keeping the amp's individual characteristics in tact. Whether you send them a 5150, a Recto, a DSL 100, etc...they will all come back sounding nearly identical.
Dude you are not the first person who has said this about VOODOO.

PTE3X said:
Dude you are not the first person who has said this about VOODOO.

I know what you mean. It's funny when you listen to a few of them. I've personally tried a Voodoo-modded 5150, Dual Recto, and JCM 2000 side by side with a buddy who owned all three at one point. Identical tones, nearly identical mods, etc. So, my buddy also a inquired a few times with Trace as to why all of his mods sounded the same. He never even received a response to dispute it.

Certain amps and/or mods aren't for everyone, and I personally feel that the mods at Voodoo remove too much of the individual characteristics of the amps that make them special. The mods are pretty clean work, and the amps sound good...but just too similar after the fact for my taste. To each his own.