Big ass REAPER workflow question!

-Open your projects in tabs
-Select the track you want to copy settings of
-ctrl + c
-go to the other projects
- hit ctrl + v
- now you have a copy of the track with all its plugins , fx , volume and pan (im not sure about the sends :S)
-delete the audio
-take the audio of the track of that session and put it in the new track you just have pasted

thats what i do to "copy settings" from one song to another

How does REAPER handle the RAM load when doing that? I can imagine a full song would load in quite a bit of data to the RAM... wouldn't REAPER hit the cap and crash when you open too many projects?

How does REAPER handle the RAM load when doing that? I can imagine a full song would load in quite a bit of data to the RAM... wouldn't REAPER hit the cap and crash when you open too many projects?

i´ve never got that problem

Cool. Well, in that case, that seems like a good alternative to saving FXchain/track templates. Simply ctrl+c'ing the shit instead :p

Well, I'm sure I'll be fine even if I don't get my auto-load feature :p The #1 priority is stability anyway, which I was reminded of again today... REAPER crashed twice for no good reason what so ever. Once when I was just undoing a couple of steps to get rid of a newly added track, and once when playing with Native Instrument's Kore Player. :(

Buy Mac. Get Logic. Be happy.

You've finally made the switch you were talking about, with the ProTools thingy but decided to go Logic instead? :) Or were you just speaking in general perhaps... which I can understand. Logic seems to be great but I don't think I would survive long on a mac, I need these damn free VST plugins! I rely quite heavily on some of them, like the GVST suite, and a few synths.

I think I can work decently alright with REAPER... I usually don't edit the life out of my tracks so that shouldn't be a problem. I don't do any super advanced MIDI stuff either but god do I wish they would upgrade the MIDI department more... add some useful tools there. Anyway, as long as the fucking thing doesn't crash on me, I'll be alright. Auto-save is set on 10 minutes btw haha, the paranoia has certainly kicked in with those random crashes!

yeah, reaper doesn't seem to be as stable as many people claim! it's about as stable as cubase i'd say, which tends to crash every once in a while (not really often of course, just ocassionally). i think having the damn kontakt player in many of my projects doesn't really help though.

interesting thread btw, i'm wondering about the same thing.

to me it seems as if doing a mix template on one song, deleting all audio and automation, and then import the audio data of other songs into that project seems to be the best route. of course, that leaves you with the question what will be the best way to do global changes once you're past the point of doing a mix template :D

just out of curiosity, how is this handled in pro tools? i remember sneap talking about doing drums for all songs first, then guitar bass etc, so obviously he will have to import lotsa settings to all the different projects all the time.

Reaper has always been stable for me!

+1. Every Reaper crash I've EVER experienced was with either 1.) some shittily written Plugin or 2.) some shittily written driver that reamed Win XP a new asshole - it was never Reaper. Edit - And since I switched to Vista last week (because XP crashed completely), I've not crashed once.

To the OP - yeah, the more I edit in Reaper the more I want it to be more like Logic or PT. Mixing is fucking AWESOME in REAPER, but editting to me is clumsy as shit these days. They did implement "Project in Project" and you can open project in tabs now, so that makes it a little easier I guess.

True, the random crashes in REAPER could be related to other things as well, but isn't it odd that the crashes occur at really absurd timings? Like when I'm closing the FX window, BAM, OWNED BITCH - YOU JUST GOT PWNED BACK TO DESKTOP HAHA FUCK YOU... in that sort of way. Today I got a blue screen but I know that wasn't REAPER's fault :p I think it's due to me disabling the page file in win XP because I read that on some stupid audio tweak guide, and after that, voila... blue screens started to appear once every 2 days. It complained about "Page Fault in Non Paged Area"... suspicious! :) Page file is now back online and I'll have to try the studio computer again tomorrow.

Aaaaaanyway... I feel I'm kinda over this thread now. I've accepted the fact that I'll just have to deal with FxChains and or Track Templates for the mixing process and I feel OK with that... as long as REAPER and my tools are stable. So really... this thread is now like... uhhh... I don't know...

RANDOM PICTURE TIME!

fuck-you-rocket.gif