Big Bands Live Fuck ups

DT screwed up majorly when I saw them play last year in Sydney.. end of Metropolis, Petrucci went into the wrong riff or something and everyone stopped.. Petrucci covered it up by shredding random notes. Myung and Portnoy started up again, but Petrucci screwed up a second time, followed by more random shredding. Then there was a big pause before they finally started again.

However, that was the only flaw in a 3 hour set.

I don't think I've seen a flawless live show ever, and I have seen about 100 shows so far (bigger bands, that is). There's always at least some minor stuff, and I think that's part of a live show. If you want a perfect replication, you might as well stay home and listen to the CD ;)

By far the worst I ever saw was Static-X opening for....I'm not even sure who now. The first song started and the main vocal mic wasn't turned on - they kept going and corrected it about a minute into the song. Next song starts and the guitarist and drummer were so far off time from each other they stopped and started the song over. At the end of the second song the singer declared "You're the worst fucking audience we've ever played for" and the band proceeded to walk off the stage and not come back - not that I'm complaining.

Testament at hellfest 2008. During 3 days in darkness, they forgot to play that long guitar bit with the bending and played the part immediately after that. After they realised, they stopped for a couple mins and played that bit, followed by the rest of the song that they hadn't played.

These guys are a local band round Glasgow (they're recording their debut just now) and they're a pretty solid wee outfit I reckon, but they royaly murder I'm Broken here and the solo is fookin comedy gold.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=escqaz3ved0&feature=related[/ame]

Lamb of God fucked up Saturday night in London. Well, LoG didn't... intro music stops, and there's silence... then the PA kicks in half way through the intro to hourglass. That Pantera solo is GOLDEN! Like the fuckin kurt cobain version or some shit?!

Trivium, no doubt about that :lol: Heafey was acting like a queer on stage fucking up all the solos, forgetting the words, and knocking over mic stands. Not to mention the sound was one of the worst I have ever heard from a "big" band. Wasn't the venue, because LoG and Gojira had a pretty good live sound.

This reminds me of avantasia and edguy on wacken 08. The mic of edguy wasnt plugged in for 2,5 songs. We could see his face singing but heard no notes ¯\(°_o)/¯

Meisterjäger;8052455 said:
Lamb of God fucked up Saturday night in London. Well, LoG didn't... intro music stops, and there's silence... then the PA kicks in half way through the intro to hourglass. That Pantera solo is GOLDEN! Like the fuckin kurt cobain version or some shit?!

I was there aswell :kickass:

As fuck ups go it wasn't a big one and didn't bother me really. LOG were really good though :)

Joe

machine head at with full force. they were playing a track off the blackening and the drummer was half a bar ahead of the rest of the band. they fixed it up when the chorus came though! lol!

i checked the dvd and they didn't put the track onto it. also one guitar went bust during one of the tracks (i think it was that red bc rich) so there was only 1 guitar playing during about half a song and there was a serious string buzz on the e-string during an acoustic part of the gig.

other then that if you watch "metallica live in dublin - whiskey in the jar" the amount of notes they miss is insane! it didn't sound like it at the gig but there's a lot of times when james and kirk are like a fret too short or too far of where they should be. lol

Haha, I think minor mistakes are what makes a live show interesting! I'd hate it if every show was perfect, sound just like the recorded shit. Even if there's no mistakes, it's fun if they "fuck up" by changing the riffs around and doing stuff that isn't on the recorded stuff.

As for mistakes, I was doing some session drumming for the swedish heavy metallers Steel Attack because their drummer has always been bailing out on gigs (they've had bad luck with drummers, the 2 last of 'em have been bailing out and shit so I've had to jump in), so I've had to join in and play live with 'em. Thing is though, they've always come to me like less than a week before the series of gigs start, so I've had to learn the songs really fucking fast, and most of the times it worked VERY good but there was this once.... we were playing before Sonic Syndicate (yuck) and I wasn't 100% sure how the next riff was so I did a maaaaaaaaaaajor fuck up where I ended up in a back beat, and even went silent for like 2 quarter notes and lost myself completely to the backtracks, and then... like a fucking miracle, I pick up the beat again and I'm exactly on the spot for the chorus, hahaha. It's the craziest shit that's happened in my live experience so far :)

I kept cursing at my performance after the gig and I remember I demanded some booze to drink so I could forget it... still fun when I think back on it though.

Oh yes, I'm used to their name by now but goooosh, it's so gay and childish :p Their fanbase probably consists of 14 year olds and 40+ years men who can't let go of their Dungeons & Dragons past :p

Just like Dio! :lol:

I was there aswell :kickass:

As fuck ups go it wasn't a big one and didn't bother me really. LOG were really good though :)

Joe

Totally rocked, man! IMO, Dimmu didn't fit in at all, though... Did LOG seem pretty sloppy to you? It sounds like they've started using more gain on their guitars and lost clarity because of it.