Motorhead!

Griffin-

Leather Rebel
Jul 7, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
22nd October 2003, 013 Tilburg

So, at what point of chaos shall I begin? Since there are some blackouts, I’ll start where it all began. I was quite eager to go to Motörhead, since I saw them at Bospop 2003 and they really blew me away. But this gig was over 35 euro’s (which is much concerning the beer and train ticket isn’t even included). So everyone was more or less like, well I’ll see. I managed to convince a dude to come, and soon all the other 6 came along too.

Young Heart Attack being the first enthusiastic support band. Call them hyper-active if you like hehe. Jumping, running around, amusing nevertheless though. A nice warming up, drinking a beer, sharing a laugh (especially when the guitarist tripped over the bass-equipment haha). So, the half liters of beer were empty in no-time, and you might figure the blackouts. The songs sounded very similar to each other, in my opinion, they played a bit too long. You’d almost say it was Bon Scott on stage, because the vocalist sounded a lot like Scott! The band was definitely AC/DC influenced, and consisted of five members. Drummer, bassist, guitarist-vocalist, guy on the keyboards and a woman hopping around a bit and hitting her tambourine from time to time. (Don’t laugh, it was quite amusing).

Follow-up was the Dutch band named Peter Pan Speedrock, yes as it says, speedrock. Nice choice for warming up the crowd. And you might say you don’t expect the crowd to like them, since half of the crowd are either over 30 or not interested in popular ‘kiddy-bands’, but the opposite was true. Everybody seemed to enjoy themselves, and all seemed to be waiting for Dikke Denis, ‘Fat Denis’, (also known as PPS’s occasional vocalist for a song or two). So he came up, poured a can of beer over himself (I believe he aimed at his mouth I’m not very sure), sang a song, and they finished off.

We all continued drinking beer, keeping the beer flowing. The majority were all more than slightly drunk, and I stood up front waiting for the first tunes of "We Are Motörhead", a song they always start with. And hell yeah what a killer first song! All chaos exploded and formed a mass pit (a pit worthy of Motörhead playing) and because I usually stand in front, it was unavoidable getting sucked up in the chaos. Well, I cared not, since I was busy having the best fucking concert I’d ever been to. They played a setlist you’d only be able to dream of, all classics! Apart from We Are Motörhead they played Ace of Spades (doh), God Save the Queen (my all-time Motörhead favorite), Damage Case, Overkill (the long version!), Bomber, Metropolis, Ain’t My Crime, Doctor Rock (second favorite!), Killed by Death, Emergency and lots more! There was not a single moment that could’ve made this evening better than it was. They played tight, no high-pitched sounds, nor was the bass too loud, and the crowd was raging with enthusiasm as they ought to! It was cool to see Lemmy, Phil and ‘the best drummer in the whoooole world-‘ Mickey Dee amusing themselves big time too! They blew me away at Bospop 2003, and well, they blew my head off this night. One thing that both me and Julius noticed, was that they didn’t play as loud as they did at Bospop, where we were able to hear as much as I do now holding my hands over my ears. Not that it mattered though, cause we have loads of gigs on our list, and actually hearing them would come in nice eh! So, impatience is growing, time for another gig that would blast us away!

Hail to the half liters, and may Lemmy salute you!

-Griffin