Budapest summer 2005

Kispál

New Metal Member
Nov 9, 2005
It's taken me ages to get round to doing this but I'm finally here. I just thought it was important to say this:

I listened to Saxon back in the early 80s but then kind of drifted away from the music (for a couple of decades!)

This summer, however, they came to a week-long festival here in Budapest and I figured I'd go along to the Metal tent to check them out for nostalgia's sake.

What I saw was a damn good band playing solid metal very well. Professional, dedicated and totally focused on the job in hand. They played a few new songs (which I of course didn't know) but when they went into material from the first 4 or 5 albums it all came flooding back. They soon figured that most of the crowd were in the same boat as me - i.e. didn't know the new stuff - so Biff binned the track list and basicaly played what we wanted to hear. Perhaps not so interesting for them to play because they've played the old stuff so many times, but the atmosphere was electric and they put everything into it.

It was also a special night because it was the then-drummer's last gig. THis doesn't mean much to me, of course, but I'm sure anyone reading this will appreciate it more.

Anyway, just thought it was important to say how well they came across. I for one am currently buying all the CDs I've missed over the long years. Got The Eagle has Landed and Heavy Metal Thunder. Maybe if anyone has a minute they could give me a suggestion of which ones to get first and why based on your own opinions.

Cheers.:headbang:

Kispál The live album "Rock and Roll gypsies" comes into my mind, because that album was recorded in Budapest in a Sportshall..
BTW thx so much for your entry on this board. On the board we have had this question before, so somewhere you can find it. I only can talk for myself:
The eagle has landed part one (My first album ever from Saxon, I prefer this one more then The eagle has landed part 2, The Song Never Surrender is one of my favorite ones on that album)
Strong Arm of the Law (My second album bought, has an atmosphere I never found on another Album from any artist, very fond of that intro in Hungry years, that comes underneath, the electric guitar sounds like a piano, so great, just fantastic!! and of course my favourite on that one "To hell and back again!!!!)
Wheels of Steel (My third Abum )Its heavy, sollid and has a nice authentic sound!)
Then Unleash the beast (lost count on what number album..) Sollid Saxon sounding more modern. less amateuristic (not that it is bad to sound genuin or amateuristic) well recorded good production, but very underrated lbum.. Big applause
Innocence is No Excuse has nice songs on it too
Solid ball of rock ( because nibbs Carter did a good job there what writing concerns, still like the bavarian rapsody, but in fact the whole cd is ok
Metalhead album, is ok
Killing ground a very very splendid album too, just hd to add this one
Lionheart (is In my opinion the best production ever...but my heart lies at Strong Arm of the Law, Wheels of steel and Unleash the beast+ killing ground)

Im not very fond with the destiny album due to that synthesyser on it--not functional-- just my opinion

Anyway, just thought it was important to say how well they came across. I for one am currently buying all the CDs I've missed over the long years. Got The Eagle has Landed and Heavy Metal Thunder. Maybe if anyone has a minute they could give me a suggestion of which ones to get first and why based on your own opinions.

Cheers.:headbang:

Kispal - If it is just the 'newer' albums you are interested in, then you really should get 'Lionheart' first, and then 'Unleash The Beast'. Both of these albums are superb, and are as good as any album Saxon have ever made. I am sure you won't be disappointed. I can honestly say both albums haven't got a weak track on them.

Both those albums are more heavier then Saxon would normally do. But if you wanted an album that was more in line with 80's Saxon, then try 'Solid Ball Of Rock' and 'Killing Ground'. Again, these are two very strong albums.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Interesting reading. I think I've decided to go for Lionheart next.

Of course, I'll get them all in the end...

Cheers,
Kispál