Big rock mix: another saturation experiment (UAD Studer+McDsp AC1 on every track)

pifos_2

des scoubidoubidous wha !
Jan 15, 2007
Netherlands
www.myspace.com
Here is a song I am doing for this new dutch band : Mandrake's Monster.

Their facebook : http://www.facebook.com/MandrakesMonster

Guitars are a Gibson ES serie->Axe-FX->LA610->FirefaceUC.
Bass is a nice Fender with the sansamp plug.
Vocals are an SM7 ->LA610->FirefaceUC.

It was mixed in PT10. Studer on every track, as well as the McDSP Analog Channel (console 1 setting).

The guitars and vocals are going through 3 stages of saturation, one tube in the preamp, one tape with the studer plugin and one solid state with the analog channel.

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds really good, although i must say the song isn't very dynamic, you could automate down the volume a little in the quieter parts, and the vocals could be a little wetter, listening to this though headphones makes it sound too upfront and "stuck in my head", give them a little more space, maybe even a little stereo delay.

i think it sounds perfect for this style. i agree with the above comment vocals could use a little more reverb, good job!

sounds really good, although i must say the song isn't very dynamic, you could automate down the volume a little in the quieter parts, and the vocals could be a little wetter, listening to this though headphones makes it sound too upfront and "stuck in my head", give them a little more space, maybe even a little stereo delay.

i fixed that and updated the mix on soundcloud!

thanks for the feedback!

when the singer hits that second note in the chorus pattern it sorta sticks out in a bad way, sounds a bit like proximity effect from the sm7. i'd use a dirtier LDC for these kind of vocals, maybe something tube. also the mix and production is (still) a bit non-dynamic. the snare is cracking all the way through (even though it sounds like you've automated the volume some), and maybe you should play with guitar sounds some. take the second half of the first verse for example, the snare is being hit by rambos machinegun velocitywise and the guitars are chugging away almost louder than the vocals, and when the chorus came i barely got that it was the chorus. maybe you should go with a different guitar sound for the verse (like really mellow AC30-ish), throw in a reverse cymbal before the chorus and right when it kicks in you raise the OH's like 2-3 db and put a tambourine counting 8ths in there! for the broots. and maybe a subdrop would be cool in the end after the intro thing when the singer does that cool yell? the mix is indeed very awesome, so "tonez and presetz? ¯\(°_o)/¯"-wise you're golden. this definitely sounds professional. just some small sugestions for the production! keep it up.

when the singer hits that second note in the chorus pattern it sorta sticks out in a bad way, sounds a bit like proximity effect from the sm7. i'd use a dirtier LDC for these kind of vocals, maybe something tube. also the mix and production is (still) a bit non-dynamic. the snare is cracking all the way through (even though it sounds like you've automated the volume some), and maybe you should play with guitar sounds some. take the second half of the first verse for example, the snare is being hit by rambos machinegun velocitywise and the guitars are chugging away almost louder than the vocals, and when the chorus came i barely got that it was the chorus. maybe you should go with a different guitar sound for the verse (like really mellow AC30-ish), throw in a reverse cymbal before the chorus and right when it kicks in you raise the OH's like 2-3 db and put a tambourine counting 8ths in there! for the broots. and maybe a subdrop would be cool in the end after the intro thing when the singer does that cool yell? the mix is indeed very awesome, so "tonez and presetz? ¯(°_o)/¯"-wise you're golden. this definitely sounds professional. just some small sugestions for the production! keep it up.

+1 to all of this