Big Sounding Ambient/Djent mix?

foundations

Jul 6, 2010
i would love to hear what you guys dont like about my mix so that i can try and improve in my next one, but please.. things like "record a real kit" or "real guitars" wont help. just general mixing pointers you think i could easily fix would be perfect
thankyou!

Last edited by a moderator:
could anyone give me a more in depth description of how it sounds "dark"
some pointers on where you think the guitar tone is going wrong and how to make it sound less dark would be great

I actually really like the tone and don't think it sounds too dark. You could give it a gentle bump in the 3k area though, just for a touch more presence, but it sounds great either way. The thing i like about this song is that i can really turn it up and it doesn't hurt my ears. Good job man! What amp sim did you use for it? And I'm guessing SD2.0 for drums?

i used pod farm for the guitars and the drums are programmed free hand within cubase just using single hit audio samples (.WAV)

so i should give the guitars a bit more top end you think?

I have to say, your drums are starting to sound better, but now your guitars just sound dark and muffled.

Btw, I have that same shirt. :danceboy:

thanks guys. any more tips for the guitars?
i ran them through the american classic pre amp from pod farm in a group bus. do you guys think that benfited or detrimented the sound?

Hey there dude! That some tight shit ! love the kinda periphery thing going on! listening on a few different speakers i would suggest getting a bigger guitar tone it is very lost in the mix mainly the chords at the end, if using line 6 pod farm, make sure that is parallel compressed and EQ heavily around the 4k mark, also use a plugin called waves maxxbass to make sure that bass is kicking all the time as it sounds quite thin on my Genelecs so generally add more bass to it!

However the songs fucking sweet!

Awesome bro!

thanks jack, i dont have waves plugins though, for the guitar i have now started using impulses rather than the cabs from pod farm i hope that will give my guitars a bigger sound