Ambient/Djent/Breakdown project (first ever post)

Apr 16, 2012
London
I'm totally new here, except for a few forays into the old mixing tips section and the gear for sale section, but i thought i'd finally become a member for real and get my mixes out there! basically, i'm a producer from london who's in a hardcore/metalcore band and who loves heavy, fucking, metal.

Here we go then:
or if you prefer better quality, the .wav is on my souncloud: http://soundcloud.com/dreamcatchmatt/joker-ambidjent-breakdown

gear-wise, its pretty straightforward:

guitars are tuned down to drop c#, going direct into Guitar Rig 5 with various patches for the clean/gain sounds, same with the bass, and the drums are the standard Ezdrummer rock kit. And this is all going into cubase 5 for mixing/mastering purposes obviously.

thoughts, criticisms, comments in general would all be appreciated, as would a sub on youtube or a follow on soundcloud, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
its nice to see some people still play above drop b :) i think it all sounds nice, the snare once in a while bothers me. i think itd be easier to judge if you had full chorded sections and not just a few duh duh, duh duh duns lol. imo.

Well, it's not bad, but it needs work to get there. Everything sounds very raw and untouched. The drums are pretty lifeless and sound robotic. The guitar tone needs some EQing to get it there. The bass could be much more present, too. Essentially, everything needs a lot of compression to give it some juice and punch, and lots of surgical EQ'ing to give everything its own space.

I agree about the snare with corymg, i can't work out what it is, i might try a different sample all together. Any thoughts on how to get the drums less robotic? because i spent a while varying velocities as much as i could

Overall thanks for the feedback though guys, much appreciated! this is only a project at the moment, but i'm thinking of using it in my band's ep that we're starting soon, so i've got time to work on it.

Well, it's not bad, but it needs work to get there. Everything sounds very raw and untouched. The drums are pretty lifeless and sound robotic. The guitar tone needs some EQing to get it there. The bass could be much more present, too. Essentially, everything needs a lot of compression to give it some juice and punch, and lots of surgical EQ'ing to give everything its own space.

pretty much all of this. i think the ez drummer basic kit is whats hurting this mix most. not the greatest samples in my opinion. plus i think anyone can pick them out as soon as you hear them. but if you have to use them add some room to the snare especially and parallel compress them.

thanks man, i'm into a lot of post-rock and ambient stuff so i thought i'd mesh it with a good old beatdown :)

Nice to see more people into a lot of post-rock and ambient :) I hope you're listening to sleepmakeswaves, moving mountains, EITS, TWDY and similar!

I like the song, bit basic... it really should have a crescendo and go into full chords and constant hitting drums... you know what I mean, with some 16th fast notes high up on the guitar hah

Nice to see more people into a lot of post-rock and ambient :) I hope you're listening to sleepmakeswaves, moving mountains, EITS, TWDY and similar!

I like the song, bit basic... it really should have a crescendo and go into full chords and constant hitting drums... you know what I mean, with some 16th fast notes high up on the guitar hah

haha of course man! i've seen twdy live twice :)

bumpppp

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/new replaced drums mix.mp3?w=248fb254

i gave it another shot based on some feedback, and i blended the kick and snare with slate samples i think and the toms i completely replaced with a set i found.
i also turned the bass up and added some overall compression and i think the mix sounds a bit more together now?

any other thoughts :)?

EDIT: Just realised the drums cut out halfway through, not sure why so ignore that!