Djent, dubstep, and rap?

Shawnn

Apr 27, 2009
This is a collaboration I did with someone a few months ago back in 2011. Can you guess who it is? Hopefully you can tell by the voice; it's a dead giveaway assuming you've heard his music beforehand. :)

Anyways, we thought of creating a djent metal dubstep rap song, and the end result was this thing. Can't show you the whole enchilada, but here's a little piece of it for now. Hope he doesn't mind.

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/sssshawnnnn/metal-vs-dubstep-snippet/s-9lGa8[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Guitars - TSE X50
Bass - TSE 808, Guitar Rig 4
Drums - Superior 2.0
Synths - Massive, Reason

Criticism/comments on the mix/song itself? Unfortunately everything's already bounced out and heavily resampled, so I can't do too much in terms of mixing. But little eq/comp/etc. stuff here and there will suffice. I don't know how to mix vocals either, so I just did what I could until it sounded good.

Thanks in advance! :D

epic stuff as always, shawnie! i'd def load this into my ipod and pump it while doing drugs/beating people up/riding the bus :) haha

(your stuff is so goddamn original i don't even care about the mix lol!)

Yayayay you're awesome thanks Backe! We should make something together some day.

Loving this! So original, and jumpy as hell.
The synth comes through really clear, and the tone is sweet as..
Nice work :)

It sounds great. Only thing I would say is perhaps not to use double tracking constantly on the vocal.
In traditional rapping (!?) mcs only double up for emphasis on certain words or phrases, and doing it throughout kinda lessens the impact.