Metal and Dubstep?

Shawnn

Apr 27, 2009
Hello fellow Sneapsters. :)

I'm working on a metal track at the moment that I need lots of help with. I'm mostly concerned with how I can make this sound heavier and more glued together. (And I felt like including a dubstep drop at the end, don't flame me too much for it.)

Guitars - TSE X50(Big thanks to Onqel for making such an awesome ampsim!)
Bass - Guitar Rig 4
Drums - Slate blended with samples on the snare and kick. Splashes and china are samples too.

EDIT: Full song is up! :D

I added two more drops by the way, thanks to everyone's advice!

Comments/criticism? Thanks in advance. :)

This is the second half of the song I'm working on. So, what can I do to make this sound better? Thanks in advance! ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your help! :) What do you mean about the first part though? (A little too glued reverb/definition wise)

Alright, so I made a few changes to the mix. Changed one of the snare samples and one of the kick samples in both the snare blend and kick blend. Made guitars a bit louder. Added in the sub bass during the end part(It's really quiet though, couldn't make it louder without screwing up the master limiter). And a few other minute changes.

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/sssshawnnnn/song-idea-2-mix-2/s-kdL9u[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Comments/criticism? Thanks in advance. :)

Hey man, first I want to say I'm loving the idea you've got here, I've had plans to blend dubstep and metal too but haven't gotten around doing it yet.

I think the part as it is now doesn't work too well, though, as the dubstep elements get too buried and you can't really hear them too well even though they do sound pretty nice. Think carefully about which part you should use the dubstep elements on. If you ask me, I'd say use them in a breakdown. :heh:

Good luck with it. Just remember, do the dubstep-metal thing more like Korn did in Get Up with Skrillex, and not like Attack Attack did in Smokahontas. :lol:

Thanks sopulurn!! I can relate to both "Get Up" and "Smokahontas". :lol: And I am a huge fan of that Skrillex and Korn track.

Next time I'll do the dubstep on top of a breakdown. But I wanna keep it where it is for now rather than scratch everything altogether; I can't be bother to do everything again. It's more like a "metal with wobbles" thing at this point rather than full-on dubstep, but at least I'm taking small baby steps towards the dubstep metal idea. :D

I'll keep on experimenting. ;)

Full song is up! :D

I added two more drops by the way, thanks to everyone's advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is seriously one of the sickest thing I've heard in a while. Never thought of doing a ''how to do kick-ass dubstep at home'' thread ? :D

Holy shit, very nice track altogether, not even considering the dubstep this is a very sophisticated song and mix.
Great playing, sounds very pro, did you edit guitars ?
This is especially cool since you don't look that old to me.
I also like the vid, nice to see you get to play some gigs !

I would only say that the dubstep could use a bit more low-end and serious puch when its on its own.

Thanks for the awesome comments guys! ^_^
I wanted to put more low end in the dubstep parts, but the majority of my buddies listen to their music on Skullcandy earbuds. >.< However, I left a bit of sub bass in there for good measure.

Yeah this is more of the Skrillex, Datsik, Excision, etc. type stuff labeled as "brostep" by the purists.