Biggest Musical Disapointment

HOW COULD ANYONE HONESTLY HAVE BEEN DISAPPOINTED BY ALBUMS THAT VARG DID FROM PRISON?

DMDS really was a huge anticlimax for black metal. All of the other major black metal bands had released grade A material by this point (or did ITNE come after?) and everyone must have been thinking Mayhem was going to be something really special.

I'll have to agree on Emperor - Anthems... and Mayhem - DMDS. For the amount of praise they receive they never did anything for me. Maybe I was expecting too much but it was truely disapointing when I actually heard both albums.

I was also disapointed by both Dark Tribe albums. A lot of people whose taste I respect recommended those albums but it didn't do much for me. Definitely not albums for everyone and definitely not for me.

I was also disapointed by both Dark Tribe albums. A lot of people whose taste I respect recommended those albums but it didn't do much for me. Definitely not albums for everyone and definitely not for me.

The second album is leagues ahead of their first, but yeah, I agree that they're definitely not for everyone. I for one, fucking love them. New album might be out this year, actually.

Major props. I've seen so much undue acclaim for this overrated, overhyped, piece of pseudo-creative shit. I think it really is their worst album in their entire career. It's hardly even worthy of the Celtic Frost name.
I agree. It is extremely overrated, and it's even been touted as a masterpiece by so called "elitists." But I personally find it to be monotonous and boring. The first time I heard it, I was completely unimpressed, but thought that it may be the kind of album that takes a few listens to click. But after repeated listens, it never grew on me, and sounded just as dull and simplistic as when i heard it for the first time. IMO it is indeed the worst Celtic Frost ablum next to Cold Lake.

Vader - De Profoundis

Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but I had heard The Beast and Litany before this and I was told De Profoundis was far and away the best Vader... this wasn't the case for me and it's probably the Vader album I listen to least (out of the ones I can listen to).

Though I do like the album, I agree. It is rather repetitive and uninteresting overall, though "Silent Empire" and "Sothis" are very good tracks, and the Depeche Mode cover is a good novelty item.

As for me:

Summoning - Minas Morgul was disappointing at first because it was different than I had expected with the drum machine and low-quality keyboard sounds, but once I accustomed myself to it, I came to like it quite a bit (though I still haven't listened to it all the way through yet).

I Shalt Become - Wanderings disappointed me at first with its muffled production and lack of variety in songwriting, but it's for those qualities that I now love it.

EDIT: I agree with what someone said earlier about Monotheist. I heard so many good things about it, but it turned out to be much less than all the hype that had been built up around it. At least it's not as bad as Cold Lake, though. :p

Pestilence - Spheres. After two excellent albums and one good album, they released this fucking crap. Embarrassing.

Agreed. I was so looking forward to it after Testimony of the Ancients. They basically over jazz-fusioned themselves into oblivion.

Atheist - Elements was hugely disappointing for me after the brilliance of Unquestionable Presence. It has its moments, but the thin, crap production and lack of Steve Flynn on drums ruins it.

Death - Individual Thought Patterns was another one around that time, very weak album after Human, and Gene Hoglan was trying way too hard to be Sean Reinert and failing dismally.

My first and probably biggest musical disappointment was The Black Album though. I remember waiting up to see MTV playing Metallica's exclusive new clip from their brand new album and I had goosebumps from the anticipation. When they finally played Enter Sandman I felt like I'd been shat on from a great height. It was quite a reality check.

:lol:

shut up . DMDS is the pinnacle of black metal, if you don't like it I suggest you cease listening to black metal.
I wonder how in the world you plan on arguing this one. DMDS left basically no creative legacy, while just about every black metal band owes something to either Hvis Lyset Tar Oss or Transilvanian Hunger, well over 10 years after their release. I didn't say I didn't like DMDS, but it's a 7.5/10 release at best.

Individual Thought Patterns and Elements are albums by bands that sound castrated. Basically no one likes Elements, but somehow people manage to enjoy ITP.

I wonder how in the world you plan on arguing this one. DMDS left basically no creative legacy, while just about every black metal band owes something to either Hvis Lyset Tar Oss or Transilvanian Hunger, well over 10 years after their release. I didn't say I didn't like DMDS, but it's a 7.5/10 release at best.

Mayhem - DMDS. Generic black metal.

Nowadays it's considered "generic" because it has been copied by hundreds of bands. Including Darkthrone.

Individual Thought Patterns and Elements are albums by bands that sound castrated. Basically no one likes Elements, but somehow people manage to enjoy ITP.

ITP is probably more listenable production wise, but Elements is better musically. The death of Chuck obviously has a lot to do with why some of his lesser releases are still enjoyed by many people.

God i completely disagree, i love how metal has changed and musicians are getting more technical and trying different things.

Old metal is boring and is nearly always written in 4/4

I think he meant nu-metal.

anyway, i hate nu-metal (thanks satanstoenail) and i love old metal, in any gender... death, thrash, heavy, black...

about Atheist, i like to listen Elements... to understand the musical evolution is the question.

all this DMDS bashing makes me want to cry.

w/e

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Arcturus and Ulver - Everything about the two bands
Velvet Caccoon - Genevieve

*YAWN*

edit:
I also agree with Monotheist. That bored me to hell.