Black Metal and Hipsters

lurch70

Sep 27, 2002
NYC
This topic really begs its own thread now.

This is a cover story RIGHT NOW on the NYT website:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/15/arts/music/15metal.html?hp

Didn't dig into it too deep yet, but I already saw Williamsburg Brooklyn mentioned in it along with WitTR and Krallice ...

Is this new movement all of a sudden REAL?

bm.jpg

My brother mentioned something about black metal being hip (or at least getting hip) today and that's a definite sign of it being so. It'll peak in three months and die in six, and in nine we can buy lots of kool shit for next to nothing on eBay.

“Transcendental Black Metal,” a lecture by Hunter Hunt-Hendrix, the young singer and guitarist of the Brooklyn band Liturgy, gave the Nordic black-metal tradition a stern challenge, and amounted to an artistic manifesto for his own band. He discussed how America represents “dignity, freedom, renewal and hybridization,” and suggested that these qualities could be represented in a new form of black metal. He proposed a new rhythm to replace the blast beat: the “burst beat,” by which rhythm can contract and expand in time, as in free jazz. He cited Aaron Copland’s “Appalachian Spring” and Ornette Coleman’s “Skies of America” as philosophical models, with their “joyful experience of the continuity of existence.” He talked of “life and hypertrophy” replacing “death and atrophy,” and in his own way he was as nonnegotiable as Ovskum: “Our affirmation is a refusal to deny.”

During a Q. and A. period Mr. Hunt-Hendrix was challenged by Scott Wilson, a professor from Lancaster University, who, like Mr. Scott, had traveled from England to attend the conference. Mr. Wilson wondered, skeptically, if transcendentalist black metal just boiled down to “all you need is love.”

“I’m not so interested in defending anything I say,” Mr. Hunt-Hendrix replied. “I only like to be judged on whether it’s interesting or not.”

Interesting.

I can't believe a member of Liturgy got front page NYT coverage.

This freaking band is all over the place lately.

I really begin to laugh at the fact that BM bands always feel the need to explain themselves.

that quote above I think really says it all:
if transcendentalist black metal just boiled down to “all you need is love.”

Not such a bad article, but sounded a bit like a gig review of a seminar rather than an article about black metal itself. This hipster thing, on the other hand, has been happening here for a long, long time here (Australia), especially in regard to Wolves in the Throne Room and their fans. Not that I have a problem with them as a band.
I think a lot of people are just getting interested in BM aesthetically, just like any fad, chances are the whole thing will blow over and pretty soon and, like Hell Mike said, a whole lot of cool shit will be going on eBay. Meanwhile, the oversized-glasses crowd will move onto the upcoming barber-shop revival scene. Trust me on that last bit.

Although, I do wonder what Mr. Butler was thinking when he called Black Metal "a cryptic expression of Roman Catholicism." I was under the impression BM was generally split between complete heathens (being based on pre-Christian beliefs), and kids who were too thick to know the difference? Apart from this whole Orthodox BM thing, I can't see many idealogical links between BM and God-botherers (Church burnings and Cradle of Filth don't count as "idealogical")
Anyway, I've been drinking, and I've been wrong before. Carry on.

In a way, black metal runs on a very old cultural motor: loss of faith, and the hysterical fear and sadness that come with it.
leave it to america to make completely fucking retarded assumptions like this

"very old cultural motor" ha ha, what the hell would you know about anything "very old", your nation has been capital c Christian since its inception

what is it with lectures having to have catchy super-pretentious titles and subtitles like "Perpetual Rot: Obsessive Cycles of Deterioration" or "Anti-Cosmosis: Black Mahapralaya" these days

why can't you name your lecture "gonna talk about black metal: i'm a fucking idiot"

is talking in a bar about stupid shit suddenly great literature? go post on blogspot