BLACK METAL ARHHHHGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

thanks for the replies and not act like TheGrimace and say somethin like "OMGZ YOU NOOB". i see acronyms all the time and no one (till now) has bothered to explain what they are.

Metropolis Part 2 said:
You know that Opeth started out as a Black Metal band? Opeth started out as a downright Black Metal band until Mikael heard someone play Yes at a party and he was hooked since then. It was on Orchid where you can hear a lot of Black Metal influences mixed in with the "normal" Opeth stuff. It was when Still Life came out, the "black metal influences" were gone.

Please forgive my stupidity, but which parts are the black metal influence? How do you tell? Seriously, just about all I know of metal at all is prog.

By the way, Opeth is not just Death/progressive. They are also heavily Doom-metal like. Mikael and Katatonia share a bond like nothing else. I hear this influence heavily on BlackWater Park and Deliverance (the newer albums of course).

Uh...now somebody's got to define "doom metal". And explain how it's different from death and black metal.

I know, I know, this is really embarrassing...but I got into Opeth and Symphony X and so on as a proghead, not a metalhead, and I get a bit out of my league with all this specific terminology.

Rose Immortal said:
Please forgive my stupidity, but which parts are the black metal influence? How do you tell? Seriously, just about all I know of metal at all is prog.

Uh...now somebody's got to define "doom metal". And explain how it's different from death and black metal.

I know, I know, this is really embarrassing...but I got into Opeth and Symphony X and so on as a proghead, not a metalhead, and I get a bit out of my league with all this specific terminology.

don't feel bad friend, i dont get alot of it either. i just know what i like and dont like. but you sure came to the right place to ask. these heads know all about it

I can handle it but not the true/raw balckmetal stuff, so only for example Dimmu Borgir(the last two albums are awesome), oldmans child,Immortal, and Dark Tranquillity wich isn't really blackmetal but Stanne's vocals kinda have a blackmetal feel to it sometimes. Also Children of bodom have hints of black metal in there wich is why they are often mislabelled as blackmetal. Basically as long as there's good melody's and enough variation in the songs then blackmetal is cool. But I can see why people would dislike the true blackmetal stuff. You really can't take it seriously if you look at those awfully painted faces and weird clothing. Also the lyrics are often a bit over the top if you ask me.

Rose Immortal said:

Opeth's first two albums have a bit of black metal influence that manifests in the raw production and vocals, which are more "shrieky" than later albums. Some of the riffs bring to mind black metal, too.

The Ruler said:
Also Children of bodom have hints of black metal in there wich is why they are often mislabelled as blackmetal.

The only black metal influence in Bodom is the vocals, but even those are a combination of black metal and hardcore. Musically, they're neo-classical/power metal. :D

arglebargle said:
Opeth's first two albums have a bit of black metal influence that manifests in the raw production and vocals, which are more "shrieky" than later albums. Some of the riffs bring to mind black metal, too.

I can see that now...that's actually one of the things I don't quite care for as much about the first 2 albums (though they definitely have their cool parts).

arglebargle said:
The only black metal influence in Bodom is the vocals, but even those are a combination of black metal and hardcore. Musically, they're neo-classical/power metal. :D

Bodom are thrash metal. They had some of the neoclassical sounds on their first two albums, but Hatecrew is definitely thrash metal.

As far as the Blackmetal thing goes...every band I thought could be called black metal that I liked I eventually found out was not black metal...so no Im not a blackmetal fan :)

weenur said:
It is a wiki, so you can put Dragonforce in the correct category.

someone should subdivide the "powermetal" genre into "flower power metal" and "real powermetal", with Rhapsody, Stratovarius, Angra etc falling under the former and Rage, Grave Digger, Iced Earth, etc falling under the latter. :p

Hey man, Jens Johansson is cool. And he called Stratovarius "progressive." And he's no moron. So whether or not this is extremely obvious fanboyship from someone who isn't even a fan of his, don't call Stratovarius flowery.