BLACK METAL ARHHHHGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

The Ruler said:
Damn right! same goes for Dimmu, Taake, Satyricon,Windir,Old Mans Child ect. all excellent black metal! :headbang:
You guys don't even know what black metal is :lol:
cradle of filth?
Jesus christ *shakes head*
Old man's child isn't traditional black metal, either is satyricon's latest.
They let the drummer from slipknot play on tour since their drummer couldn't get a visa.. think about that.
Dark Medieval Times> anything satyricon will ever release.
And dimmu borgir's latest album just flat out sucks, even if you arent expecting something from before Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia (i.e something like Master of Disharmony or The Blazing Monoliths of Defiance, to name a few good older style songs).

Moloch said:
You guys don't even know what black metal is :lol:
cradle of filth?
Jesus christ *shakes head*
Old man's child isn't traditional black metal, either is satyricon's latest.
They let the drummer from slipknot play on tour since their drummer couldn't get a visa.. think about that.
Dark Medieval Times> anything satyricon will ever release.
And dimmu borgir's latest album just flat out sucks, even if you arent expecting something from before Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia (i.e something like Master of Disharmony or The Blazing Monoliths of Defiance, to name a few good older style songs).

But however even COF sounds better than tr000 Black Metal.

Another voice for the Immortal praising here, they're awesome. I find them all the better for their cheesiness -- their enthusiasm for permafrost and 'wind-rippled steps' (wtf? unless they mean 'steppes') makes it fun. Come on, sing (ehm...) it with me:

Icicled peaks
as far as the eye can see

\m/ (~_~) \m/

And they did write some fucking sick riffs. Just listen to One by One, for example. Every riff kicks more ass than the one before it. Battles in the North (the song) had awesome riffs, too. I should go listen to Blizzard Beasts now....

P.S. As clichéd as it is for a bm fan to say it, but CoF and Dimmu are pretty bad. It's mostly in how bland they sound -- it just sounds manufactured. Although Dimmu does have like, 2 songs that I like. CoF, sadly, has none.

Rose Immortal said:
Why? Better production?
ya that's it :rolleyes:
No.
Because the music isnt anything like what black metal really is.
Look at kings of carnival creation by dimmu borgir- a fucking gothenburg style harmonized solo for fuck's sake, not to mention the main riffs, the fast part is cool, but the main riffs (the ones it starts on) don't belong in black metal.
I think they thought they were jesper and Björn for that bit.
Cradle of filth never played anything like black metal, they played death metal in the early days, and then switched to an extreme gothic style, or something amongst those lines.
I do enjoy cradle of filth, but linking them to black metal just because they wear makeup and dani has a horrid scream and fucked up lyrics doesn't mean it's black metal.
It's not any better than black metal, it's just diffrent.
satyricon's old albums with the folk influces are unbeatable.
Production is only part of the problem with sopposed black metal bands now.
Having a completely clean production takes away the raw edge of black metal.
A nice dirty production gives a nice icey black metal feel.
Listen to some old satyrcon, old emperor and old immortal if you want to know what black metal should sound like
I do like Old man's child, it's like dimmu borgir, but good:D
It's not real black metal, but it's nice and heavy.

And if you want melodic black metal, get some Dissection.
Storm Of The Light's Bane and The somberlain are excellent.

With all due respect, certain people in this thread need to go listen to some real black metal, an excellent music genre by the way, and get their heads out of their collective asses.

Barking Pumpkin said:
With all due respect, certain people in this thread need to go listen to some real black metal, an excellent music genre by the way, and get their heads out of their collective asses.

I already heard Emperor, Gorgoroth, Darkthrone, Burzum, Mayhem, Ulver, Enslaved, Bathory, Immortal, Beherit, and many other real black metal bands....................in fact I used to be a big fan of the genre, it was all I listened too.

Now, im not into it at all, cant say theres anything in there thats worth listening to except maybe Emperor.

in fact, you might as well say I hate the genre now.

wayne the goblin/robot said:
I already heard Emperor, Gorgoroth, Darkthrone, Burzum, Mayhem, Ulver, Enslaved, Bathory, Immortal, Beherit, and many other real black metal bands....................in fact I used to be a big fan of the genre, it was all I listened too.

Now, im not into it at all, cant say theres anything in there thats worth listening to except maybe Emperor.

in fact, you might as well say I hate the genre now.

In fact I've bought over 15 Black Metal albums and they were all pure trash except IX equilibrium. In fact, I can list them to you:

Mayhem- Deathcrush :yell:
Mayhem- De Santa whatever :loco:
Emperor- IX Equilibrium (Not that bad)
Emperor- Anthems to the Welkin Dusk :ill:
Bathory- Bathory :ill:
Bathory- Blood Fire Death whatever
Immortal- Dammed in the black whatever :tickled:
Immortal- Immortal :yuk:
Burzum- For All Tid :yell:
Bathory - Under The Sign Of The Black Mark :yuk:
Immortal- Sons Of Northern Darkness (very cheesy, very very very cheesy)
Darkthrone- Panzerfaust :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:
Dimmu Borgir- Stormblast

All I could remember including the yucky "Metal" cds my relatives/friends got me

Dimmu Borgir- PEM whatever
Cradle Of Filth- Damnation and A Day (I probably listened to this twice and laughed my ass off)
Cradle Of Filth- Midian :cry:

Well......I'm not really sure how you can call black metal cheesy when your username comes from Dream Theater.......

Really......you know they're cheesy.

Anyway, I have like four of the albums on that list, and I consider those good. Deathcrush is supposed to be thrashy and evil. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is supposed to be about atmosphere. Stormblast (and For All Tid......both by Dimmu Borgir) are Symphonic so they're also about atmosphere, epicness, whatever.

I would suggest giving those things a bit, if you haven't already, as it does take time to understand and appreciate, just like any other genre of music.

A few other essential black metal items off the top of my head:

Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse (THE epic black metal album)
Nokturnal Mortum - Goat Horns
Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia/Constellation
Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky (blend between De Mysteriis and Deathcrush)
Carpathian Forest - Black Shining Leather (actually get Strange Old Brew if you want something more progressive)

I'm not as big into black metal as some people, so I don't have albums by a billion underground bands, but I have as much post-black metal as black metal, you might want to try some of that. Some of the big names in that would be Arcturus, Solefald, Red Harvest, Aborym, and ...And Oceans.

Black Metal does have several different "sub-genre" type different sounds. There's the minimalism with atmosphere, which can be seen in Burzum, Mayhem (De Mysteriis...), and Nargaroth. There's thrashier black metal like Absu and Aura Noir. There's also black metal that adds more melody and epicness, like Emperor and Satyricon. Then you go off into post-black metal, which isn't really black metal. Generally newer black metal bands follow one of the first three styles, with some variation between the three.

Agreed. The ignorance I've seen here has been appalling. It was funny the first few pages, and refreshing to see a bunch of proggers lay into the stupid parts of BM subculture, but after 29 pages, I expected to see a lot better than Immortal worship from GMD'ers. ;)

@anonymousnick2001: What's wrong with Immortal? We're not gonna throw out every bm band we know of/listen to just to appear tr00 and kvlt.

@Metropolis: You are a fool. -_- And you have no right to call anything cheesy. Have you actually listened to later Dream Theater? I'm not saying that Sons of Northern Darkness ain't cheesy, but at least it's not self-important cheese. It's enjoyable. I'd rather hear over-enthusiastic lyrics about masses of permafrost and icesheets constantly on the move than pseudo-intellectual drivel about stem-cell research any day.

Mantraschism said:
@anonymousnick2001: What's wrong with Immortal? We're not gonna throw out every bm band we know of/listen to just to appear tr00 and kvlt.

@Metropolis: You are a fool. -_- And you have no right to call anything cheesy. Have you actually listened to later Dream Theater? I'm not saying that Sons of Northern Darkness ain't cheesy, but at least it's not self-important cheese. It's enjoyable. I'd rather hear over-enthusiastic lyrics about masses of permafrost and icesheets constantly on the move than pseudo-intellectual drivel about stem-cell research any day.

This is why I went to MP.com, you should go there also metro.