Black Metal CD reccommendations

Wristomania said:
Well I know it's not black metal, it's melodeath(gothenburg), but Nightrage is fucking awesome. I like their first album the best, with Thomas Lindberg. Worldmetalalliance

Where the hell did this come from?!? Wrong thread.....

el barto said:
The principle of evil album is 100% black metal tis a crying shame the shit they are putting out now though

No it fucking isn't.

Anyways, just get the classics, the rest is optional.

Did Sacramentum break up ?

I find all three of their fullengths brilliant.

According to Metal Archives, their status is "unknown", which usually means "yes, but it hasn't been publicly announced yet".

The REALLY basic list:

Darkthrone - Any of A Blaze.., Transilvanian Hunger, Funeral Moon or Panzerfaust.
Emperor - Nightside Eclipse and Anthems.. You must have both. Also get the Emperor/Wrath of the Tyrant demo compilation if you can find it.
Immortal - Battles in the North, At the Heart of Winter
Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Mayhem - De Mysteriis..

Also get yourself some pre-BM/thrash like Celtic Frost(Morbid Tales, To Mega Therion), Mercyful Fate(Don't break the Oath), Venom(Black Metal, at War with Satan), Sodom - Under the Sign of Evil.

Perdition's Light said:
According to Metal Archives, their status is "unknown", which usually means "yes, but it hasn't been publicly announced yet".

If I recall correctly, they've been inactive for a few years but just a few months ago rumours began circulating of a possible return with a new album, but I haven't heard anything since then. I'd rather they stayed dormant to be honest, they were only going downhill.

I don't think Sacramentum was going downhill. The band was just getting less black metal & melodic. It does not mean they were going downhill. Sacramentum would not be better than they were if they tried replicating far away from the sun over & over again. All three albums in their own way are top notch.

D-KOM said:
If you like Sacramentum, than be sure to check out
Decameron : My shadow and both Unanimated albums!

I have the first Unanimated on cd. I'm trying to track down ancient god of evil.

I'll look into Decameron. thanks

XASTHUR people! they are amazing. I may have skipped it but i have yet to see them come up. malefic is a fucking genius!

Priest of Evil said:
I personally only regard early Emperor as BM I lost interest when they went "symhonic".
I strongly disagree. the only album by emperor that isn't really black metal is prometheus. Seeing this just about pisses me off. I'm tired of hearing about what is or isn't "true" black metal. They have the keyboards, blast beats, hi-fi guitars, and the "fuck you and you're god" attitude, what more could a metal head want? I can almost understand such comments about dimmu though i still think they are an amazing group of musicians, but now we are going to say the same about the fucking black metal geniuses? What the fuck?

The Greys said:
I have the first Unanimated on cd. I'm trying to track down ancient god of evil.

I'll look into Decameron. thanks
I second Unanimated! Decameron are ok, just not as consistent as Unanimated, I found some of the cleaner vocals are particularly annoying on Decameron.

MasterOLightning said:
Without Emperor, there would be no CoF or Dimmu Borgir.
Well, that's half false. Perhaps without Emperor, Dimmu would not have done quite the same thing they did (though I still believe they would have formed in some shape or form), but Cradle of Filth formed in 1991, the same year that Emperor formed from the ashes of Thou Shalt Suffer. So, one band was not the progenator of the other.

I would recommend Cradle of Filth's first two releases (Principles of Evil Made Flesh and Vempyre) for a good black metal listen, and, though I hate everything they've produced since, I'd recommend Dusk for just a good album.

And on the subject of Emperor, I can see where one could stop calling them black metal on IX Equilibrium, but not anything before that. Saying that they stopped being black metal when they went symphonic is just ignorant, though.

As for recommendations, I'm going to say Twilight. I don't know if any of you know anything about them, but it's the individuals from Leviathan/Lurker of Chalice, Xasthur, Nachtmystium, Draugar, and Kreig. Pretty supreme black metal. And, the bands that make up Twilight shouldn't be overlooked either.

When CoF formed, they were shitty death metal. They didn't turn into shitty black metal until Emperor had already innovated.

Suprised no-one has mentioned this:

Dimmu Borgir - Stormblast

Great atmosphere and varied songwriting. The poor quality of their newer stuff doesn't invalidate the excellence of this album.

hibernal_dream said:
Suprised no-one has mentioned this:

Dimmu Borgir - Stormblast

Great atmosphere and varied songwriting. The poor quality of their newer stuff doesn't invalidate the excellence of this album.
I'd go with Stormblast MMV over the original. I respect the original, and really, it is one of their best, but the re-recorded version just takes all the bullshit out of it, uses some of the best production ever, and is just generally better. The vocals, the guitars, the drumming (courtesy of Hellhammer, and maybe his best work), the noticably downsized reliance on keyboards... it's all so good.

And, to Cynical: you're telling me that "Summer Dying Fast" is a death metal song? And that the corpse-paint they were wearing is a death metal thing?

Fenriz presents : the best of old school black metal (does exactly what it says on the tin) you've got some nice stuff from 80s early black metal bands like the aforementioned Venom, Celtic Frost and Bathory, some 2nd wave stuff like Burzum and Mayhem and great newer songs from Aura Noir and Nattefrost. My absolute favourite is "Elizabeth Bathory" by Tormentor (feat. Attila on vocals) it's adorable!

welcome to hell-venom
black metal
at war with satan
cast in stone
metal black
mercyful fate-mercyful fate
melissa
dont break the oath
apoctolytic raids-hellhammer
morbid tales-celtic frost
to mega thieron
into the pandimonium