Black Metal Demos

TheBahggs

WAT
Feb 21, 2008
Waterford, MI
What are some good demos by Black Metal artists? Thus far Ive sampled and enjoyed early Naglfar and Xasthur demos, basically Im looking for minimalistic quality and dark atmosphere.

Paysage d'Hiver

Whichever ones came out on CD-r or were reissued as A5 digibook CDs, because the tape rips sound awful.

yea, Naglfar's Stellae Trajectio was cool.

Kaarnekorpi - Kaarnekorpi (Demo, '06)
Mithotyn - Nidhogg (Demo, '95)
Solgrav - Pohjola Kotimme (Demo, '04)
Svafnir - Der alten Zeiten Widerkehr (Demo '06)
Thyrfing - Hednaland (Demo, 1996)

Manes has some demos out in a compilation, Svarte Skoger. If you like the Xathur demos, this should do it for you. It's more difficult than Xasthur though.

Darkspace has a demo available for free download from their official site. Difficult as well, if you're not familiar with the band.

And of course I'm going to recommend Leviathan's demos. If you want official releases, get Verrater and Howl Mockery At The Cross. Otherwise download away at the unattainable 15 or so demos. I can vouch for Shadow Of No Light being really, really good.

You can download Altorių Šešėliai's demos for free and they're friggin' fantastic.

Obskene Sonare's Wildes Blut demo is ace and with a little bit of searching you should be able to find it on slsk, I doubt you can get it for purchase anywhere.

Moloch (ukr) as a tonne of brilliant demos which he frequently releases in wonderfully arranged boxsets, I know he just made a new box set available which would certainly be worth your time.
EDIT: I just checked and the new box set actually only contains full lengths and an EP, it's still an amazing collectors piece and the music is great so check it out anyway (here, c'mon, tell me that doesn't look awesome). I don't know how able you'll be to find his demos, most of his back catalogue is sold out and I was unsuccessful in my brief slsk searches.