the metal demos thread

I'm with Dodens here. I feel that there isn't much more exciting then owning a demo from a new band and watching them grow and achieve success. I've got really high hopes from a lot of the new doom metal bands like Age of Taurus, Arkham Witch, and Cauchemar.

Edit-->And I really want to check out fucking Tales of Medusa but I'm not cool enough to be on their mailing list yet.

Belinus - Battlechants
From Ireland, this is Primordial-esque folk black metal. Very professional packaging.

Stand-Up Guy - Has Anything You've Done Made Your Life Better? and Immobilaire
Also from Ireland, but in the Neur-Isis school.

Belenos - Notre Amour Éternel and Triste Pensée

I've always loved The Meads of Asphodel's demo Metatron and the Red Gleaming Serpent. Probably my favourite demo of any band.

Insanity's 1985 rehearsal should be mentioned. You can hardly hear anything, but what can be made out (and cross referenced with the album versions) is pretty ridiculous for its time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Belinus - Battlechants
From Ireland, this is Primordial-esque folk black metal. Very professional packaging.

Belenos - Notre Amour Éternel and Triste Pensée

I have these 2, both really good imo and a few that have been mentioned within the thread.

For me, I started buying demos back in the early 80s at shows. When a band hadn't been signed yet or was soon to be coming out with their debut, they always had tapes for sale. Many of my tapes are now collectors items and I laugh when I see them go for a small fortune on ebay since I spent a few bucks for them. I still buy demos whether its on cassette, cd or vinyl. I stopped reading reviews many years ago and just buy and hope for the new diamond in the rough. Over the years it has been nice to see some bands become well known and grow as musicians. Then there are the ones that I just can't understand why they never made it when they had so much potential.

I'll have to go through my collection later or tomorrow and list some that I feel are worthy of listening to or owning.

wat teh fak

I remember first hearing this in 03 or 04 when I bought the version of Figure Number Five that had this attached to it. Pretty sure I WTF'ed and/or found it far too brutal for my 13 year old self.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both Ulysses Siren demos are easily on par with the best non-Slayexotallideth thrash songs, with fairly technical riffwork for their time (not far removed from the traditional-infused epic-thrash of early Coroner and Destruction) and strong melodic sensibilities. They were just a song or two short of a god-tier Bay Area debut.

Forbidden's early 90's demo material (Trapped and Disillusions especially) was actually really strong, better than their studio work. There was a definite transition into more melodic and kinda grunge-ish realms, but they hadn't absorbed it to the level that they would on Distortion, and as a result they sound more like a more riff-oriented Nevermore there.

In terms of more vndergrovnd kvlt stuff, Absolute Zero's Piracy demo is really fun. Imagine The Accüsed going on an Energetic Disassembly binge and you have some idea. Violent, bouncy, crossover-infused tech-thrash.

EDIT: And fans of Adramelch should listen to Anathema's Salem Lunacy demo, which could easily be a collection of unreleased Adramelch songs, albeit the slightly less epic ones.

I haven't heard them :( I missed out on that boxset, and I kind of want to die because of that fact. I own their full-length works and they're all pretty much fucking phenomenal.