The Progressive/Avantgarde Metal Thread

I'm acquaintences with the bassist/former guitarist, Oyvind Sundstrom, and they've been working on a new album forever, but The End Records has just been the biggest bunch of assholes.

That's what I hear. Apparently they're considering releasing it independently. I read the blog and I was like, "-_-".

Man do you remember when Agalloch finished their contract with The End and they were all like, "Pf. Fuck you guys." on their Myspace?

no, but that doesn't surprise me. It's a shame because The End used to be pretty a go-to label in terms of interesting and forward thinking bands. Now it's a bunch of shit post hardcore trendy hipster crap.

That's more often than not what happens with such labels. It's the backlash of originality. But it's still better than this:

Man, bands from the US today suck ass. In Flames and Insomnium are, like, way better than most of the shit I've heard coming out of America in recent years.

Am I allowed to post "progressive heavy rock" bands? I just listened to "Space Revolver" by The Flower Kings this morning, and I was fucking blown away. This band is easily more talented than any prog metal band I've heard to date, including Dream Theater when they didn't suck.

Seriously guys - listen to this fucking album. It's amazing.

Am I allowed to post "progressive heavy rock" bands? I just listened to "Space Revolver" by The Flower Kings this morning, and I was fucking blown away. This band is easily more talented than any prog metal band I've heard to date, including Dream Theater when they didn't suck.

Seriously guys - listen to this fucking album. It's amazing.

I will check it. Animals As Leaders is a good Progressive Fusion/Metal band as well, since we're branching out.

Thanks :). Sadly we may never hear something like Obscura though I suppose thats what makes it the great album it is. Also are any of you guys fans of non metal Avant-Garde music? any Arthur Russell fans? John Cage? Captain Beefheart? The Residents? The RIO movement?

Oh yeah. Hell yeah. Magma is probably my favorite band of all time.

The Residents are also incredible at making disturbing-ass 'anti-music'. I haven't heard much avantgarde overall (still need to hear Captain Beefheart :erk:), but there's a ton of great music in that area.

I have massive doubts because the only thing I've ever heard from the Flower Kings was more gay than Rob Halford fisting Freddie Mercury.

Well that's only the first album I've heard of them, so I can't speak for the rest of their discog, though they have made a fuckton of albums so I'd be willing to forgive them a few duds.