The Progressive/Avantgarde Metal Thread

challenge_everything

Feb 9, 2006
great southern wasteland
I often find we lack a centralised thread, along the lines of the generic "black", "death" and "doom" threads, to discuss progressive and avantgarde metal, new releases, news and such.

I was debating on bumping the old "Avantgarde" thread, but it was never much good to begin with.

228257.jpg

So, kicking things off, this album has to be the most original I've heard this year. Almost impossible to describe, but there's black metal influence, space rock and trance all combined to create some seamless sound that I've never really heard before. There's a strong electronic element but it retains a sense of organicness. Fans of Negura Bunget would probably enjoy this.

Thy Catafalque are indeed awesome. Being a Ne Obliviscaris fan, have you heard Ikuinenn Kamos and Klabautamann? Should be right up your alley if not.

Sore Plexus

Probably could be loosely described as a cross between Psychotic Waltz and Coroner, with warbly clean vocals. Quirky, progressive and metal.

They have a full-length called Haptephobic. It rules!

I have mentioned this band before on these forums, here and there.

I like avantgarde metal. The latest band to visit my music player has been Klabautamann, but as I've mentioned many a time before, Frantic Bleep has always been a favorite. Cynic is also good.

And I really dig Canvas Solaris and Behold... the Arctopus (Marston is a god).

Progressive metal is one of my favorite genres of metal. But I'm not really talking about the DT-kind, more like the bands that are simply creative and do out of the ordinary things with their music.

Agalloch
Blut Aus Nord
Borknagar
Circus Maximus
Control Denied
Cynic
Dan Swano
Direwolf
Enslaved
Gorguts
Green Carnation
Krallice
Lykathea Aflame
Meshuggah
Mirrorthrone
Mithras
Negura Bunget
Opeth
Orphaned Land
Sculptured
Sigh
Symphony X
Ulcerate
Vintersorg

Good idea. Progressive metal is probably my favorite genre and it doesn't get discussed enough around here. As far as this year's releases go, I'm most looking forward to Canvas Solaris and Riverside (haven't heard it yet). The latest OSI record is fucking amazing and still my favorite album released so far this year, so it'll be hard to top.

Also, Spiral Architect is actually actively writing their second album now. Rejoice!

Good idea. Progressive metal is probably my favorite genre and it doesn't get discussed enough around here. As far as this year's releases go, I'm most looking forward to Canvas Solaris and Riverside (haven't heard it yet). The latest OSI record is fucking amazing and still my favorite album released so far this year, so it'll be hard to top.

Also, Spiral Architect is actually actively writing their second album now. Rejoice!

I hate to burst your bubble, but the new Riverside is pretty weak in my opinion. They tried to be a bit more metal, heavy, and tough on it and it just doesn't work. They're at their best when they play softer, proggier, and more emotional, like in Second Life Syndrome.

EDIT: New Spiral Architect?! Damn its about time.

FUCK, that's exactly where I hoped they wouldn't go. The soft moments are what Riverside are best at, and that's exactly why Out of Myself is their best album. At least we still got the Lunatic Soul album last year.

FUCK, that's exactly where I hoped they wouldn't go. The soft moments are what Riverside are best at, and that's exactly why Out of Myself is their best album. At least we still got the Lunatic Soul album last year.

Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking when I heard the new album was coming out.

I actually think Second Life Syndrome is their best, the title track is amazing.

On a side note: Whats with all those Riverside reviews that say that Mariusz growls, have they ever heard an actual growl?

I'm glad you reminded me - one of the things I wanted to ask in this thread was about the OSI album. I heard good things on some prog websites but I don't trust prog nuts ;)

Actually, I've wanted to ask this for a while:

While I think we can all agree on a clear distinction between progressive and avant-garde, what exactly is the difference between progressive and technical metal?

Okay, then what does "technical" signify? Why is certain progressive metal considered technical while other progressive metal isn't?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just curious in understanding what qualifies music as "technical" versus just "progressive."