The Progressive/Avantgarde Metal Thread

And on that note, most bands we all like are 'avant-garde' or 'progressive'. Deicide progressed on what Slayer did, Suffocation progressed from what Deicide did, Devourment progressed from that...too vague of a title. Like 'viking' metal. It's typically death or black metal with melody that sings about vikings. Gay. It's still death or black metal.

Progressive more has to do with bands progressing to me not the influences from other bands. Deicide,Slayer and Devourment,etc.. are not progressive musicians or bands. If you put it that way any band who formed would be progressive.

I agree with the Greys. Every band would be progressive if "doing something slightly different than usual" meant progressive. As it stands I think in this thread we're basically discussing both Dream Theater-esque prog metal bands and "avant-garde" stuff.

Musicians who always move forward and expiriment and keep learning how to play their instruments are progressive musicians. Musicians who are open minded basically.

They have their moments, but some times they get a bit "meh." I think its just the production and mediocre vocals though. The production is kinda flat sounding, if that makes any sense. Good band though, and I'm looking forward to future releases. I've heard samples of the Closure EP, and the production is a lot better, so I'm even more eager for that next album to come out. What's the whole deal with why its not out yet anyway?

And on that note, most bands we all like are 'avant-garde' or 'progressive'. Deicide progressed on what Slayer did, Suffocation progressed from what Deicide did, Devourment progressed from that...too vague of a title. Like 'viking' metal. It's typically death or black metal with melody that sings about vikings. Gay. It's still death or black metal.

This is a good point, I call things prog rock because most people associate a certain set of sounds with the word, but tbh, Bathory, Slayer, Morbid Angel, etc. etc. are more progressive according to the real definition of the word than a ton of prog bands. Avant-garde music is usually progressive but I feel like the "avant-garde" tag is uncalled for. I mean some avant-garde bands are just not that special, yet gay progheads continue to fap to the tag that makes them feel like such intellectual music listeners.

They have their moments, but some times they get a bit "meh." I think its just the production and mediocre vocals though. The production is kinda flat sounding, if that makes any sense. Good band though, and I'm looking forward to future releases. I've heard samples of the Closure EP, and the production is a lot better, so I'm even more eager for that next album to come out. What's the whole deal with why its not out yet anyway?

Probably label bullshit. Same with Frantic Bleep's latest.

I think the production is great on The Forlorn. I would say the only part that's meh is the long acoustic interludes. They could use some shortening up.

I'm just posting to remind you all that progressive metal peaked with it's birth: the almighty Energetic Disassembly.

Well, here's my two cents:

I define progressive metal as metal that incorperates strange time signatures and tempo changes, technical guitar playing, fusing unrelated music genres into metal, uncommon keys, and experimentation. Now if a band has a few of these elements, they can be described as a progressive band. "Progressive" is both a metal/rock genre and an adjective. A band can be considered or described as "progressive" without actually being a part of the seperate genre. I would consider bands such as Taake to have progressive elements in their music, but obviously Taake is not a prog metal band.

Sore Plexus

Probably could be loosely described as a cross between Psychotic Waltz and Coroner, with warbly clean vocals. Quirky, progressive and metal.

They have a full-length called Haptephobic. It rules!

I have mentioned this band before on these forums, here and there.

Link plz? Couldn't find them on myspace.

Yeah, because music needs to be so neatly organized? Not so much. Maybe for fags who need to feel cool because their iTunes is all nice. I don't have Devourment as slam or brutal, it's death metal. Same as Deicide. It's not that important. A little organization is fine, but to take sub-genres into sub-genres? Faggotry.

It's not about classifying, it's about having a musical vocabulary enabling us to describe particular bands/albums to each other. When I ask you what Devourment sounds like, are you really going to respond with "death metal" full stop? Faggotry.

d82dee4825044e3416a19f4c7e7.jpg

COMPLETELY kicking my ass lately. Erik Rosvold is a fucking godly singer.

Gotta love their jazz and country breakdowns...

Honestly, vocals can get very cringe worthy at times though