black metal settings

blackwolf75

New Metal Member
Mar 26, 2011
Hi, this my first thread. According to your experiences, which should the depressive black metal settings (eq, comp, reverb and so on) for drums be?I'm interested above all in toms and overheads, 'cause kick, snare and hi-hat already satisfed. But if you have suggestions about them, I'll enjoy.
Thanks

lots of verb.
Use the Norwegian cave preset, with a lot of kvlt and long death tail.

Reverb, lots and lots of reverb, on everything. Preferably record the drums in a cave, or a church while setting it on fire. I like using some good ol' fashion gasoline, gives it just the right amount of saturation.

Well, if you're going for a Burzum type of sound, I know Varg recorded with reallllly bad gear and settings and mic placement, etc intentionally to make it sound bad and go against the grain of good sounding over produced pop records.

This is from the black-metal movie documentary, "Until The Light Takes Us"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ-J8bHK0Cs&feature=related[/ame]

Hi, this my first thread. According to your experiences, which should the depressive black metal settings (eq, comp, reverb and so on) for drums be?I'm interested above all in toms and overheads, 'cause kick, snare and hi-hat already satisfed. But if you have suggestions about them, I'll enjoy.
Thanks

First serious answer (sorry about the comedians) : I think you should create a drum bus where you send every drum track (sometimes you don't want to send the bass drum) and create a good reverb with some reverb vst or a room impulse, some compression and eq if you prefer. Try to create an illusion of space where the drums are.

Most important tip of all: Do not give a fuck what the professional guys or your friends say, do what you feel right in your mind and soul, let your creative energies flow!

I'm not even a Black Metal purist by any means, but I see most of you guys really miss the point about black metal production, and miss it really bad. Keep on doing the friendly generic metalcore sound :D

I'm not even a Black Metal purist by any means, but I see most of you guys really miss the point about black metal production, and miss it really bad. Keep on doing the friendly generic metalcore sound :D

nah, we have a sense of humour.

Seriously, black metal is a genre where you should just go with what you think sounds right for the music, don't try and imitate any other sound

Ok everyone back the fuck up, Northern Norwegian in this thread right here

AllanD makes a good point, also make sure presence and gain is set to 11.

You need to record in the northernmost cave you can find, deep inside, on a cold winter day, all alone. Place a SM57 outside of said cave, go inside again and plug in your line 6 spider III.

Let the 57 capture the raw essence, the echoes of the guitar from the deep, cold and wet cave.

No EQ, no compression and most importantly NO panning.

Ok everyone back the fuck up, Northern Norwegian in this thread right here

AllanD makes a good point, also make sure presence and gain is set to 11.

You need to record in the northernmost cave you can find, deep inside, on a cold winter day, all alone. Place a SM57 outside of said cave, go inside again and plug in your line 6 spider III.

Let the 57 capture the raw essence, the echoes of the guitar from the deep, cold and wet cave.

No EQ, no compression and most importantly NO panning.

You're a funny guy Ensi, I like you. Thats why I'm going to kill you last.
On a more serious note, you're as funny as the assraped christianized Norwegian "vikings" back in the day who accepted a jewish carpenter as their saviour. Place the SM57 outside your cave and worship some Jehovah! Good luck with you metal!

Thanks

I don't listen to "depressive black metal" AFAIK..
But you should know that there's no point in using presets without having exactly the same drums/position/room/samples etc, as the one who made the presets..
Nobody can give you any suggestions either.. since nobody knows what sound you already have.. it would be like someone asking about how much salt to put in a lasagna.. it could be a teaspoon.. or a couple of kg.. it depends on how it tastes and how big it is and other factors..

You're happy with Snare and HH.. Mix around them..!
Add the Bassdrum and the bass.. listen to your favourite records and take notes.. maybe they do something that would fit your song..

And post clips if you want someone to give their opinion on what to do with it.. the Norwegian cave preset isn't something a beginner should touch.. it's extremley powerful..