Black Rose Immortal: Live?

Would you like Opeth to play Black Rose Immortal on the next tour?

• Yes

Votes: 134 67.3%
  • No

Votes: 65 32.7%

• Total voters
Bad idea : I would rather like to hear them play like... 3-5 songs (depending) instead of Black Rose Immortal, which is way too long and would take 1/3 of the show. For one damn song (that is not so good...). It's like the idea of playing the whole My Arms, Your Hearse album on a show... I mean, what the heck, it's a show not an album you're listening. Variety is the key.

But that's a whole album. BRI is one song. Besides, if they played MAYH in its entirety, I'd fall asleep. Still Life is another story, though.

Yes but that's only tastes, I'm saying this in a perspective that could include anyone's tastes. Therefore, they must play their music in a variety perspective, because all their album are so different. You cannot make (I know they did it once, at their beginning) a show 1/3 Black Rose Immortal, 2/3 anything else. A lot of people would like it because it's pretty unsual and people like unsual things (good reason to love Opeth, they always come with new suprises). Plus, it's old stuff. Morningrise is great, but they've done it already many times. They cannot always come back with old stuff for old fans, these much learn to appreciate new things, without always being nostalic. That's my opinion, but if they were doing a 4 hours show, it would be intesting to see Black Rose Immortal (because it's a very, very long song, but I don't really like it yet).

To hear BRI wouldn't be for me, a trip in nostalgia. It is a good song, and Opeth are yet to have played it on a tour, here in the states. I'd love to hear a few different, "not ever played on tour" songs. And every tour, Opeth have done that. I can't say that about too many of the bands I've seen over 20 years. Even my favorite band Yes. They ALWAYS play all 3 songs off Close to the Edge, Roundabout, Yours Is No Disgrace, Your Move, Starship Trooper. And those songs take up over 65 minutes of the show. I love the songs, but after seeing Yes over 10 times....it gets a little frustrating not hearing other classic Yes songs maybe take their place for a tour. You got to realize that playing a few older songs for us older fans is not just for the first fans. They are played for the new fans that are yet to hear the first few albums. Ever since the Blackwater Park tour, and every following album/tour, you see many fairly new fans asking people next to them, "Whoa! What fucking song was that?! Which album?" And I think Mikael and company know the older material will have that effect. And this is Opeth's band....they wouldn't play the old stuff if they didn't like it, or if they didn't want to.

I meant to not focus on it, not to forget it totally (if you were answering me). I think it's great to keep putting old songs, but want I meant to say is that the reason why Black Rose Immortal seems to me a bad idea is that it is too long, and it's like focusing on Morningrise, rather than exploring every albums. A shorter song on Morningrise seems to me a more judicious choice.

Bad idea : I would rather like to hear them play like... 3-5 songs (depending) instead of Black Rose Immortal, which is way too long and would take 1/3 of the show. For one damn song (that is not so good...). It's like the idea of playing the whole My Arms, Your Hearse album on a show... I mean, what the heck, it's a show not an album you're listening. Variety is the key.

3-5 songs? What band are you listening to?

Most Opeth songs are 10 minutes long. So if you play one song thats 20 minutes long, that's only instead of 2 songs. At best. And when Opeth headline they hardly play an hour, so it's not a third of the show either.

And it's not THAT big of a focus on Morningrise at all. It's not unheard of a concert to have about 1-2 songs from each album, and in BRI's case, this is like 2 songs from Morningrise.

Saying you don't want to hear the song live because you don't like is understandable and reasonable. Saying you don't want it because it's long makes me wonder why you listen to Opeth.

I would prefer to heard To Bid You Farewell, I think BRI would have to be at the expense of something else equally good.

It would be amazing to have an extra long set, but I think that is a little too much to ask for. They cannot keep everyone happy all the time. Imagine the complaints on this forum, because some people would be prevented from hearing what they wanted because something was played that they may not like or even have heard...

I would like to see it played live just for the acoustic section from around 9 minutes, which I believe to be the most beautiful moment in any Opeth song.

I would like to see it played live just for the acoustic section from around 9 minutes, which I believe to be the most beautiful moment in any Opeth song.

Yay! It starts at 9:43 and it's the only nice moment in that song! But... what kind of nice it is! It's really great! Not the most beautiful for me, but one of the most for sure!

When I saw them when BP came out, they played 1 song off every album, and they played Advent from Morningrise. The last tour, they played TNATSW. So, there's only 3 left that are yet to be played from Morningrise. Like I stated earlier, Opeth always play something each tour, yet to be played live. They've been doing this with MAYH (When, April Ethereal, Amen Corner, as always, Demon....) the last few tours. And MAYH being my favorite, I hope they continue this.

When I saw them when BP came out, they played 1 song off every album, and they played Advent from Morningrise. The last tour, they played TNATSW. So, there's only 3 left that are yet to be played from Morningrise.

They've been playing "To Bid You Farewell" on "Damnation" tour.

And, yeah, I prefer "Nectar". Not because of "Black Rose Immortal" is too bad, but because of "Nectar" is too good.

3-5 songs? What band are you listening to?

Most Opeth songs are 10 minutes long. So if you play one song thats 20 minutes long, that's only instead of 2 songs. At best. And when Opeth headline they hardly play an hour, so it's not a third of the show either.

And it's not THAT big of a focus on Morningrise at all. It's not unheard of a concert to have about 1-2 songs from each album, and in BRI's case, this is like 2 songs from Morningrise.

Saying you don't want to hear the song live because you don't like is understandable and reasonable. Saying you don't want it because it's long makes me wonder why you listen to Opeth.

I'm not saying all this randomly. The length in Opeth's songs are, in average, from 7 to 10 minutes (7.9 minutes exactly). Well that's 2-3 songs from Black Rose Immortal. I was making big approximations and I know that their shows last like 1h30 and it ends so fast, damn, and that's why I wouldn't like to get out of that show and tell myself "They didn't play x song or x song, that's bad. If at least they didn't play Black Rose Immortal maybe they would have played that x song I love so much" but there again it's mostly about tastes.

EDIT : And please do never, NEVER, doubt of my love, admiration and fidelity toward Opeth.

They didn't play x song or x song, that's bad. If at least they didn't play Black Rose Immortal maybe they would have played that x song I love so much" but there again it's mostly about tastes.

In this sentence, you could easily replace the words Black Rose Immortal with any song that you don't prefer. My point is that the length shouldn't be a factor, since it's hardly that big a deal with Opeth.

EDIT : And please do never, NEVER, doubt of my love, admiration and fidelity toward Opeth.

I didn't. I actually don't care how much you love them, but more power to ya.:)

They've been playing "To Bid You Farewell" on "Damnation" tour.

And, yeah, I prefer "Nectar". Not because of "Black Rose Immortal" is too bad, but because of "Nectar" is too good.

To bid You Farewell, eh? Well, I've yet to have heard them play it the 10 times I've seen them. And, I haven't missed them since they came here. Must've been on the European part of the tour, because they haven't played it here.

To bid You Farewell, eh? Well, I've yet to have heard them play it the 10 times I've seen them. And, I haven't missed them since they came here. Must've been on the European part of the tour, because they haven't played it here.

I want to know how Mendez plays the lead double-note bass part in the middle without a six string. It has to be difficult.

I am bumping this thread because this topic does not get enough attention.

Yes Opeth should absolutely play this song live. In my mind it is an injustice to the fans that both this song and To Bid you Farewell have not been played live in years. When I think of the album Morningrise, I don't think of Nectar or Advent. I think of Black Rose Immortal and To Bid you Farewell.

Every Opeth tour leaves me disappointed that neither of these are played. The sheer amount of monumental, epic riffs in BRI is reason enough to play it live. Yes it is 20 minutes long, who cares, it is 20 minutes of great music you never get to hear live.

'Black Rose Immortal' is one of single worst written songs I have heard* It is overlong - essentially 20 minutes for the sake of having a 20 minute song. There are good parts within it - even some great parts - but the flow of it is horrific, totally lacking in any type of cohesion. If it wasn't the Opeth 'EPIC' song, I doubt whether people would care much for it. I'm glad that by the next album they actually started writing 'songs' as opposed to parts.

*Denotes: In my opinion.

Whether or not BRI is quality relative to the rest of Opeth's discography isn't the issue (for me) anymore. The idea has become legend and would be epic :kickass:

Opeth presents the BRI Tour.
Warning for fans: BRI may be played.