Black Symphony - Tears Of Blood

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Black Symphony - Tears Of Blood
INDEPENDENT - 2001
By Van Alan

Black Symphony are a fine example of quality music from an independent artist, this release is so good it compares in quality and can easily be classified as one of the top metal CDs for 2001. They spearhead Tears Of Blood with epic traditional or power metal without forgetting slight doom, thrash and progressive feelings. Heavier Crimson Glory and Nevermore comes to mind as the CD evolves, but the release starts with echoed vocals chanting "Jonah". Is this a King Diamond creation? Shortly thereafter the title-track erupts with razor-edged guitar riffs from Rick Plester while the drumming of ex-Black N Blue & Ted Nugent member Pete Holmes sounds heavier than much of his past work. Bruce Dickinson & Rob Halford influenced the vocals, but it’s not fair to compare Ric Plamondon (vocals) or the music in general to any specific metal group predating Black Symphony. Their sound is traditional like the bands before, but there is more than enough diversity to break the chains leaving this group on their own.

Black Symphony display unrivaled music that doesn’t forget the elements that create a real heavy metal CD. At times you hear select numbers of keyboards accenting the music, but they only add ambience while it’s the vocals, bass & drums that take center stage. The highlights, though every song is good and I almost ranked Tears Of Blood as a masterpiece, include the title-track, 'It Remains A Mystery', 'Take Me Down', 'Into The Dark' & 'The Black Symphony (Part II)'. The band members I excluded in my previous text include Rev Jones (Bass) and Mattias Burstrom (Keyboards). At one time Rhett Forrester '1957-1994' (Riot) was even Black Symphony's vocalist. There are no gimmicks, no trends, no clown makeup, just aggressive vocals with complex and composed musicianship. Also, in the past Black Symphony have shared the stage with Dio on a tour of Europe. If that isn't enough proof as to the quality of Black Symphony, GO HOME!