Blackstar Series One heads

BrettT

Aug 29, 2006
Austin, TX
Anyone have any experience with these? Katatonia was using a 100 and 200 last night, and they had one of the best live guitar tones I've ever heard. Absolutely crushing distortion and amazing cleans. I know a lot of people praise the HT-5, but haven't seen much on the high wattage heads.

Kinda G.A.S.ing now...

Also curious if anyone has tried their HT pedals?

Would like to bump this topic. Quite interested in opinions on the Blackstar Series One heads from a recording and live performance perspective.

I recorded one Blackstar, don't remember which model but it was one of their cheaper heads not the Series one. But you can hear it on my site: www.studiohaga.net Start a fire clip. Sounded really good, got some djent qualitys, really nice palm mutes. So i guess their most expensive line (which is quite cheap) should sound great

I recorded one Blackstar, don't remember which model but it was one of their cheaper heads not the Series one. But you can hear it on my site: www.studiohaga.net Start a fire clip. Sounded really good, got some djent qualitys, really nice palm mutes. So i guess their most expensive line (which is quite cheap) should sound great

Wow. You got that tone from a cheap Blackstar?? One of the HT Venue's or something less?

Sounds very phat. With a nice tight low-end. I assume TS was in front of it?

My primary interest is for live performance, but should be recording our next album in April too.

Blackstar seem to have a good reputation for their amps too in terms of build quality, which is important to me as a gigging muso.

Wow. You got that tone from a cheap Blackstar?? One of the HT Venue's or something less?

Sounds very phat. With a nice tight low-end. I assume TS was in front of it?

My primary interest is for live performance, but should be recording our next album in April too.

Blackstar seem to have a good reputation for their amps too in terms of build quality, which is important to me as a gigging muso.

Maybe i did or not, hmm can't remember. But i remember it had really TS quailtys without it. And the guitarist had a really cheap guitar which made my 5150 and Tripl X sound like shit. So i guess with good pickups it should sound amazing

Welp... I just took a gamble and bought one on eBay. Ex display model for about £950. I'll post clips in a new thread once I get it and tweak it.

I saw Architects live in October and they were using Blackstar Heads, they sounded pretty damn good.

And the Monuments guitarists use them:

Last edited by a moderator:
bumpage!

my guitarist is considering a series one 100 - looks pretty nice and seems to get a lot of praise, but i decided to throw a few questions at you guys about them.

how are people using these now? how have the ones of you who've owned one thought about them in the long run? are the additional controls for tone shaping as awesome as they sound?

i also wonder why people still don't use more of these. i've heard a blackstar from some cheaper line than series one and it sounded really good.

i played one in a store recently. didn't quite like them as much as i did from internet videos........overall a good amp, good gain and pretty versatile, but there's a certain "metallic" quality in the highend that can't be dialed out. doesn't really have that much balls either, even though you can have shitloads of bass. the tone is just not thick by any means.
wasn't impressed.

Was shooting out different amps on a reamping session last week, tried a blackstar 100 6l6, wasn't too impressed to be honest, was alright, nothing special IMO, it's quite versatile, has pretty good cleans, wasn't a big fan of any of the distorted channels, but then again it probably just didn't work for the specific material I was using it for.

To me this amp sounds just as I would want it to sound. It's definitely on my to buy list:

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely love the 100 watt version. Haven't finished anything we've recorded with it yet but it's absolutely crushing and super versatile! I love the way these amps react to palm mutes, they've just got this really thick, wet quality to them.

I'm gonna be picking one up before the year is out; probably the 1046L6 version. 200-watt version is just gonna be too heavy (weight!) for me I think. It's a shame my other one never materialized a few years back. I ended up with a Fryette Sig X, which sounded okay on the high-gain stuff, but I hated the clean channel; was more of a "lets crank it and then roll it back and play some shite blues bollocks" type of channel. Plus the Fryette crew are all dicks.