blast beats

Bored

Jul 21, 2004
since the next album is supposed to be borderline black metal what are ure thoughts to a song with a few blast beats.. .think mikeal will experiment with it?
ure thoughts gentlemen.. :err:

I have considered what it would be like before, and although I love blastbeats, I tink they would ruin Opeth's sound quite a bit, as although they are very tecnichal and fast, they do little really for the complexity of the music other than make it chug along. I think it is one quality of Swedish metal that blastbeats are not resorted to in order to make a recording extreme.

Actually I love blastbeats, but since Opeth never used them, I don't think they'll try with that. As Moonlapse said before: Blastbeats are way to primitive to fit in their music.
Luz.-

Ya never know, perhaps a few blastbeats thrown in here and there, not overdoing it, will be part of the drastic turn Opeth could take. I personally would be disappointed in Mikael if he had blastbeats the entire album, although i do like them, I just can't see him doing it.

Same here pal! :devil:
\m/

Luz.-

a_taylor said:
Ya never know, perhaps a few blastbeats thrown in here and there, not overdoing it, will be part of the drastic turn Opeth could take. I personally would be disappointed in Mikael if he had blastbeats the entire album, although i do like them, I just can't see him doing it.

im not saying for the whole album though.. mabye just a litlle part in a song or something i dunnno... isnt experimenting wat opeth is about? regardless of how primitive it is..?

Actually Opeth has used blastbeats in some of the earlier material if you listen. I remember Mike talking about it on Lamentations or in an interview. But I highly doubt they would ever use it again, or an entire album at that. Lopez is was to talented and creative for that. For Lopez to use blast beats is comparable to Mike using only powerchords in his riffs.

A blast beat is the drum beat alternating with the bass drum, then the snare and high hats are hit simultaneously. Sometimes there's double bass, but what mainly catagorizes it is the rapid hitting of the snare and high hats at the same time.

Blastbeats would be an obvious BM cliché that Akerfeldt and Co. should probably avoid.

There's a Cephalic Carnage song which should outline all BM steretypes to avoid, actually.

I hope opeth doesn't use blast beats, they get too boring for me. It may be a skill to even perform blast beats, but it's nothing awe-inspiring to me when it comes to drums. Hopefully opeth with stick to their original routine.

I think Opeth should have a few blast beat backed riffs on the new album, to experiment. No more than 2 songs...I think it would be interesting to hear them with Mikael's high scream. Kinda similar to the first "Mikael" part in Edge of Sanity - Crimson.

i agree even a little part in a song.. kinda like that part in by the pain i see in others that circus riff .. it was short and sweet and purely experimental.. i do agree that they are boring bla bla and are primitive.. however experimentation is thir middle name
i mean they released a full accoustic/soft album whoever thuoght back in the old days they would ever do that?
it probably wont show up but i think it owould be interesting even iif it was fror 5 seconds..
AND THAT IS FINAL1!!!! :loco: