Bleed through pickup's?

Razorjack

Bass Behemoth
Jun 13, 2004
Manchester, UK
www.pythiamusic.com
Whilst finishing off editing the drums and bass tracks from a recent session I have noticed that some of the D.I bass tracks have bleed from the rest of the mix (it's very quiet even when compressed, but it is there!!).

The only explaination I can think of is that the passive EMG-HZ pickups in the bass picked up the sound from the speakers in the control room (where the bass was being played).

Has anyone else had experience with this? If so did it cause problems when mixing?

Ahhmmm..

Was the bass player tracking his parts 1" or less away from the monitors? =)

I've used a plastic toy Ray Gun into my pickups, ala Steve Stevens before, and it's way rad. However, bass pickups grabbing sound from playback monitors that are many many FEET away in a control room seems highly illogical to me, Captain.

EtherForBreakfast said:
Ahhmmm..

Was the bass player tracking his parts 1" or less away from the monitors? =)

I've used a plastic toy Ray Gun into my pickups, ala Steve Stevens before, and it's way rad. However, bass pickups grabbing sound from playback monitors that are many many FEET away in a control room seems highly illogical to me, Captain.

The only other explaination is that there was crosstalk on the desk, but I have never heard of that with a Control 24....hmmm.....this really is stumping me :erk:

Razorjack said:
The only other explaination is that there was crosstalk on the desk, but I have never heard of that with a Control 24....hmmm.....this really is stumping me :erk:
Crosstalk on a C24 sounds even less logical than pickups picking up signals form monitors several feet away...

I had the same problem with a Bassguitar.
they catched the audio signal from the speakers somehow! I think the Bass was responsible for that, because I didn't have problems with other basses.
With this bass I also had static noises... the volume knob was like an antenna.

i get tracks all the time to mix where i can hear the click in the bass and/or guitar tracks.... picked up from the monitors by the pick-ups. if this is an issue your are concerned about while tracking you can always either flip one monitor out of phase and seat the player directly beween them while tracking to the click.. or give him headphones.. i usually opt for the latter if i hear any bleed after checking out the playback of the first "warm-up" take... but, if the "warm-up" track happens to be "the one", and comes out killer from a performance standpoint i'll keep it... click bleed or no. btw, this has only happened to me with artists that insist on tracking with the monitors in the CR really loud... which is another reason for headphones.. let them kill their own ears.

James Murphy said:
i get tracks all the time to mix where i can hear the click in the bass and/or guitar tracks.... picked up from the monitors by the pick-ups. if this is an issue your are concerned about while tracking you can always either flip one monitor out of phase and seat the player directly beween them while tracking to the click.. or give him headphones.. i usually opt for the latter if i hear any bleed after checking out the playback of the first "warm-up" take... but, if the "warm-up" track happens to be "the one", and comes out killer from a performance standpoint i'll keep it... click bleed or no. btw, this has only happened to me with artists that insist on tracking with the monitors in the CR really loud... which is another reason for headphones.. let them kill their own ears.

Agree!!

during the melodic break in the song the end of heartache you can hear the click as well. more so in the radio edit(the de-balled version) than in the album version.

James Murphy said:

I feel better that I'm not the only one who experiences this, whilst the volume wasn't too loud in the control room (1/2 way on a set of 1030a's) the basses used could do with sheilding (2 Korean made Spector's and a Musicman Stingray)

heres a dumb noob mistake alot of pros make cause its so simple to forget about....

Make sure your AUX sends are down AND be sure that you dont have the Talkback Mic on ... You would be surprised how many people Clik it on and forget to turn it off...lol

Da Fukn Guru