Bleeding Though - Declaration... anyone else dig the production?

MEGA DAVE

Mar 5, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
More and more I find myself listening to this album. The whole production has this whole dark feel to it, and it sounds HUGE. I know Devin Townsend produced this one, but that's all the information I can find on it.. Anyone else dig the production on this album? And also anyone have any info at all on the production??

i've noticed that, but it gives it a cool effect at times imo, overall though i just love how dark everything sounds, its almost like a bad production that worked out great if ya get what i mean?

From what I've heard through the Vancouver Grapevine...

-Drums tracked at mushroom studios with Dean Maher.
-Guitars tracked in devin's room in a sandfilled iso. My guess is 5150 with maxon808 in front.
-Devin mixed and mastered the whole thing ITB with his C24.....

This album is so compressed, but it gives it an interesting sound. At times it seems to distort, but not in a high frequency painful way, like a lower break up.

Can't tell at all what the guitars are often playing. Pretty thin and low in the mix or buried by the kick. Then really loud when played alone.

Drums sound programmed almost. Don't like the high-end on the snare, seems to be all that's there. Really high click on the kick. Toms are just little clicks. Thin cymbals.

Strings are pretty big.

Vocals sound pretty damn good.

This reminds me of the Darkest Hour albums Devin did. Each element by itself sounds 'wrong' to me, but it works as a whole.

That's the one problem I have with DTs stuff.. he self masters.

Wish he'd stop crushing his stuff.

I agree that it's the editing, samples and the overly compressed sound that gives the programmed vibe.

I don't really find the mix that dark. There's a lot of low end going on, but the guitars and drums come off as really bright to me. Maybe they're not bright, but they've only got those higher frequencies sticking out.

i think BT have always had a reasonably unique gtr sound esp. on TIL,TIM and the truth. When i first heard Declaration i thought the album was total mud and even now with many listens i think it is really squashed and there is a seriously untamed low end to the record. Brandans vox came out good (as they do on all the albums).

Love this record and the production too, the guitars don't have much bite to them though.

I would agree with overly compressed too, same with the last Misery Signald record

Alright, couldn't get much info on overall production of the newest album since he wasn't in the band during that time, but for the last album he recorded called "The Truth" they used a combination of a 6505, Triple Rec, and VHT Deliverance heads with a modded TS9. Cabs mic'd were a JCM800 and Rectifier...as for pickups, it was a blending of EMG 81's and Gibson. Sorry if it doesn't really pertain to the original question but just a little information for anyone wondering, I can probably find out more about the production from him in person rather than on the phone.