Blending/crossfading songs together?...question, need help!

AxelACTP

VIVA LA SANDUNGA
Nov 24, 2007
Puerto Rico
i have a quick question, i need to clarify, cause i never had anyone answer this to me before... but how do i blend tracks together? is it like crossfading, something you do in the mixing stage or is it something that is done on the mastering stage? And what is the proccess of doing such thing? a good example of what im talking about is like DREAM THEATER does on their concept albums, in which each song blends with another almost like its one big song. Or for example the new "Woe is me" or "Circa Survive" record which also flows like this also in which every song is connected. Im really sorry for the "n00b" question hear but i really didn't find anything on the net or had somebody clarify this, so i thought you guys in the forum could help a brother out!

Much easier to do in the mastering stage. Most assembly and all dedicated mastering software allow for crossfade adjustments and start id placements.

It wouldn't hurt to do mock up yourself in any multi-track software if you don't have the capability to do it in your assembly program.
You can use this reference for the ME or yourself to make sure it's going to work like you want it for the final.

Also good to have song versions available without the crossfade for single song digital download/delivery.

Much easier to do in the mastering stage. Most assembly and all dedicated mastering software allow for crossfade adjustments and start id placements.

It wouldn't hurt to do mock up yourself in any multi-track software if you don't have the capability to do it in your assembly program.
You can use this reference for the ME or yourself to make sure it's going to work like you want it for the final.

Also good to have song versions available without the crossfade for single song digital download/delivery.

What would be a good step by step on a multitrack software?... like plugins or other software? im using a mac and logic pro...and thanks a lot for the answer!

anyone whos using presonus studio one is having a really easy time doing these things,

only those who are familier with this great DAW will understand how simple it is...

I always liked this idea, but there seems to be so much in the way of it being properly heard. First, you need to master it correctly, then you need to make sure the software and cd media you use to master and press with are compatible and configured to have tracks blend seamlessly, then you have the media player software and theater hardware and everything else that plays your music now having the tendency to auto fade in and out of every track, which is so obnoxious.

Can't you do this in the actual recording stage? Unless you are talking about something completely different, but it sounds like what I'm doing. Recording an album in one session, and having the songs flow into one another by just letting instruments fade under the next song, or adding effects to them and rendering the tracks separately.