ok calling all editing gurus>>>

Pablo333

Jan 13, 2009
A shout out for some help from any Cubase users when Editing different Gtr takes/sections -

I'm mostly recording on a riff by riff basis to get the best takes possible, but having a few probs editing the sections together (stupid i know)

It's like this > Riff A for about 8 bars into >>> riff B , but theres a slight gap sometimes at the end of Riff A or the start of Riff B will be cut off on the timeline grid (mostly the initial pick attack)

Any advice on how to get seamless edits for the above? I know i should be crossfading but Im not sure im doing it correctly as i havent got the result yet im looking For.

Any help appreciated dudes:kickass::kickass:

Well, I would start recording and playing at least 2 bars before riff A starts and go longer by 2 bars, into riff B. Then you can do fades in and out and it will sound much sexier. So you need more then one track. And basically you want to record too much sound then less. It is always better to have too much then not enough.

I know I need plenty of top and tail, its adjusting the crossfades i need help on.

I know I need plenty of top and tail, its adjusting the crossfades i need help on.

Which part specifically? The two parts to be crossfaded should be overlapping slightly, highlight them both and hit 'X', listen, then you can size / move the crossfade if needed. If you hit 'X' on a part that's already been crossfaded you can edit the fade in more detail. I think that's aboot it...

Don't bother with crossfading... in autofades, set auto cross, fade in, and fade out to 5ms. Cut to grid, make sure to play a bit of the riff before and after the part you're actually recording.

Don't bother with crossfading... in autofades, set auto cross, fade in, and fade out to 5ms. Cut to grid, make sure to play a bit of the riff before and after the part you're actually recording.

Thanks man , Could you clarify a bit more on "cut to grid" ???

I've recorded a 4 track demo and even with no crossfades it sounds tight. It was on Cubase SX 3, and my technique was simple :

- my songs were written at specific tempi, so you just have to choose the right tempo so that it's aligned with the grid
- you put markers at every important moment of the song : chorus, verse, bridge etc. Basically you structure the song for Cubase.
- you have to use the different recording modes. first make sure the click is enabled, and also use the "pre click" so that it clicks a bar before it records.
- so basically you just get to the beginnning of a section or a group of sections, and so by getting to a marker. and you record. the click starts before the recording and then the recording starts as you also start the riff. And if the good option is enabled (don't remember all the options names sorry) you can add the option that the position returns to the starting point when you decide not to keep the take. Therefore you hit the record button, wait a bar, play, and if it's not good you start again immediately in one shortcut. And about the fact you start to record at a specific point without recording before it, if you play tight it will be okay and will not be audible.

if you're tight enough, no need to crossfade, or just a some useful points. I have the example of a complexe song of my own that needed too much skill to record it in only a few takes so I recorded every 4 or 8 bars, and it's stil natural enough, I can't hear the transition, and there is no crossfade.

If you really need to crossfade you can do the same but starting always a bar or 2 before the riff, and use the X shortcut or the autofade as described before. It depends on the guitarist, if he's tight and the sound is distorded you could use no crossfade, if he's not, if the sound is too clear, or if you have the time to do it because it's an important production you could crosffade.

another idea is to loop a section, and record and record again the loop until it gets ok. It can sometimes work even if there is no crossfade possible because the recording stops at the end of the loop.

you still need to crossfade, unless you are cutting at zero crossings, just to avoid digital pops. A quick one, like 5ms (as stated b4) is fine, and you can't even tell that it's there.

Hum with my method, at least with cubase SX3, I personnaly edited after the whole take process the parts where there was still some pops needing a crossfade. I guess you'll still always need it for most transition yeah, forget what I told about the zero crossfade, I reopened the project and I forgot I had edited 1/3 of the transitions. those who don't pop are those where the takes have been well played.

I have a question also regarding editing takes.
Suppose I am recording 2 tracks at once for one instrument and I'm using the comp function in logic that allows you to record over your takes and then simply pick and choose the best parts.

Is there a way to do all those edits on one track, and then transfer all the comp edits to the second track? or must you do it all by hand?

Thanks for all the tips guys, set my default X fade to taste and its working fine now!! just highlight - hit X and its sorted!

I have a question also regarding editing takes.
Suppose I am recording 2 tracks at once for one instrument and I'm using the comp function in logic that allows you to record over your takes and then simply pick and choose the best parts.

Is there a way to do all those edits on one track, and then transfer all the comp edits to the second track? or must you do it all by hand?

If you want to do the same edits so they affect both guitar tracks simultanously you just have to group both guitar tracks, and then there is an option under the preferences of the grouping box that says something like "selection edit" (or something to that extent, either way its the first box you have to check off) If you check off this box all your edits will affect both the guitar tracks that you grouped... Then once you are done with your edits/comping, click on the top right arrow of the file and a drop down menu comes up and select "flatten and merge" and it will consolidate all your edits between all your takes for both guitar tracks down to one take with all the autocrossfades intact...

When I'm doing guitars in Cubase I prefer not to use crossfades and stick with doing guitars on different tracks.

So...if I were tracking doubled leads...

Lead 1LA (Left)
Lead 2LA (Left)
Lead 1RA (Right)
Lead 2RA (Right)

Lead 1LB (Left)
Lead 2LB (Left)
Lead 1RB (Right)
Lead 2RB (Right)

This does make for a lot of tracks and files, but I find it a lot easier to just fade out all of section A and fade in section B than I find it to screw with crossfades, punch points, etc. Same thing applies for rhythm guitars, except those are usually quads.

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not in this thread yet.. But I have ocd about my regions starting right when the beginning of the riff occurs. I start the recording then with a precount. With the Pre record function on, which records 2 or 5 or however many seconds you want it to before the reigon starts. That way my region is on grid and i can nudge the beginning a 32nd note to get the initial pick scrape.