Blind Guardian - Battalions of Fear

Conspicuously Absent said:
well... tully is rather adamant here, so I'll give them a shot.

Blind Guardian slowly turned into power metal through a few albums (still ruling), but Battalions of Fear is speeeeeeeeeeed metal.

KILL TULLY said:
Blind Guardian slowly turned into power metal through a few albums (still ruling), but Battalions of Fear is speeeeeeeeeeed metal.

Sounds goodly then, only BG i ever heart was power metal, and I hate power metal.

i almost checked out an old bg album one day for cheap (seriously), but then remembered that i heard somewhere far beyond and and that it was the equivalent of a gay mans butt dildo

So do any of you old BG fans like Savage Circus? I thought they were pretty cool for awhile, then I thought to myself "why dont I just go listen to blind guardian?" And I did, the end.

This thread needs more mp3s that'll convince me of this band's awesomeness. I should love stuff like this, but I've been trying for years!

Look, half of you have only just recently discovered the merits of heavy metal (outside of all things black, doom, and death) so I can be forgiving here :p ....but seriously Blind Guardian have NEVER EVER been straight up Power Metal. That is, they sound NOTHING like the spawn of Helloween (whether it be their old or new material).

If anything, they are much more PROGRESSIVE. They have very complex time changes running throughout every song, multi-layered vocals etc. Hansi Kursch doesn't sing a single note in "falsetto" mode.

Yeah true, but you know what I mean. No period of BG falls into the "derivative crap" territory a la Hammerfall, Primal Fear, Stratovarius etc. I don't begrudge them of headlining festivals, I think their acclaim is pretty well deserved.

is it just me or is helloween a fucking terrible band

i mean maybe walls of jericho and keeper pt. 1 is cool but i heard "dark ride" a while ago, supposedly one of their better "new" albums and it just fucking blew to no end

Well, it's all about Keeper pt 2 isn't it? Or at least, THAT was when the world took notice of this particular style. If you can't stand Michael Kiske then avoid at all costs, otherwise dive in headfirst and check out the epic title track.

ooh, well, it's worth listening to at least from a "frame of reference" point of view to say the least, just considering what mark it etched into the evolution of it all.