Blind Guardian - Battalions of Fear

Most people dont like new Helloween, mostly because Andy Derris is not Michael Kiske. I really love Derris' voice, I think hes pretty underrated among other singers in the genre. "Time of the Oath" is the best Derris era Helloween CD imo.

JayKeeley said:
That is, they sound NOTHING like the spawn of Helloween (whether it be their old or new material).
Their first 3 albums sound totally "like the spawn of Helloween" (especially of "Walls Of Jericho" and a good deal of "Keeper..1") which means just "power/speed metal" nothing less, nothing more.
Early Stratovarius RULE btw, "Dreamspace" is one of the best euro power metal albums, and of course Tolki has a much better voice than this smurfette called Kotipelto.

Well, let's put it this way, BG can hold their own. I don't think they need to be paying royalty checks unlike some other bands. Or rather, most PM bands.

PM might be diluted to shit, but there are still those quintissential albums that people should at least check out before dismissing the genre entirely. Damn, I mean, imagine if someone heard Mors Principum Est & Callenish Circle and then decided to write off melodic death before hearing any DT or Eucharist.

BY THE WAY, I know I've butt-plugged this umpteen times but people people people, Lost Horizon. Get on it. First album ->

awakeningtheworld_2059.jpg

In your face speed/power metal early Manowar on steroids.

Uhh yea, Daniel Heiman's gotta be one of the most talented Power Metal vocalists I've heard in years. A Flame to the Ground Beneath is also really good, although falls slightly short in comparison with the debut.

@IotS: Indeed, but I think when I heard the debut, I was just a little more blown away because it came and wiped all that stagnant euro-filth away in one fel swoop.

lost horizon makes me sad. their first album was like :headbang: :headbang: but then the second failed to move me at all, except to push the stop button

Yea I have the crystal eyes CD, his vocals are quite good on it, the music is pretty bland power metal overall though. I've heard from samples from Heed, some that sounded pretty cool. The band overall has a more "rocking" and 80's tone to there power metal from what I can tell.