Blind Guardian - Battalions of Fear

Yea Wotjek left for like a year or something, then he came back and everything fell apart with Daniel and the other guitarist quitting. Im not entirely sure what happened but its apparent that Wotjek and Daniel were not able to work together anymore for whatever personal/buisness reasons.

Savage Circus new album kicks ass too. Anyway How can anyone say Pure and Highlander suck??? Pure has got to be one of the greatest power metal songs ever.

Good thread.

Somewhere Far Beyond is excellent. In reading through this thread again, I'd say mid-era BG is currently ruling my airwaves. SFB and Tales. You can see where they were naturally evolving, taking several years off before releasing Imaginations.

Great band when you think about it: from across their discography, they appeal to fans of speed metal through prog metal. Plus they've got the whole fantasy /Tolkien thing going on so there's elements of folk/celtic/whatchamacallit.

This album fucking rocks. Their best IMO. Don't like much past their first two.

Seconded. I've been spinning that one and Follow the Blind a whole lot lately, and I have to say that I prefer the former. It feels so earnest and full of energy, and perhaps the production is a bit sharper too

All though I think that all of their albums up to A Night atO have a lot to offer, even though I usually prefer more extreme metal

What is it with this retro-cool-to-be-into-speed-metal again. Twelve months ago, 90% of UM would have said anything with clean vocals a la Blind Guardian etc would be "gay". Sounds like mass oompadom to me. :loco: Though I suppose once you've exhausted 5 billion black death growly albums, eventually you have to go back to basics. It wasn't long ago when it was all just heavy metal.

I think it's because I came here tbh. Actually I don't even know how long I've been posting here by now.

What is it with this retro-cool-to-be-into-speed-metal again. Twelve months ago, 90% of UM would have said anything with clean vocals a la Blind Guardian etc would be "gay". Sounds like mass oompadom to me. :loco: Though I suppose once you've exhausted 5 billion black death growly albums, eventually you have to go back to basics. It wasn't long ago when it was all just heavy metal.

The retro thrash movement of the past 2 years also seems to be spawning the bringing back speed metal. Hopefully, we don't get an onslaught of god awful retro speed metal bands as we are getting with the retro thrash.

Next in line: 80's Power Metal suddenly makes a comeback and 150 Sanctuary and Lethal cover bands pop up out of the wood work.

I absolutely love Sanctuary, and have a liking for Lethal. I was just taking a piss take at the amount of tankard worship bands there are in this retro thrash movement.

Refer to my prior rants in other threads on the subject of Thrash Till Death kiddies.

The retro thrash movement of the past 2 years also seems to be spawning the bringing back speed metal. Hopefully, we don't get an onslaught of god awful retro speed metal bands as we are getting with the retro thrash.

Next in line: 80's Power Metal suddenly makes a comeback and 150 Sanctuary and Lethal cover bands pop up out of the wood work.

good post

It's difficult to explain but even if you're only hearing "original" speed (or any other classic genre) for the first time today, it always tends to sound more....genuine.

Remember that scene in The Fly remake when Jeff Goldblum attempts to clone a piece of steak. When he eats the clone steak, he describes it as tasting "synthetic". That analogy applies here*

* but of course there's always a few exceptions

also, conversely, just because it's old doesn't necessarily make it good either

Also, what is it with retro-movements? Generally speaking, are these creating genuine renewed interest or are we talking about passing bandwagon appeal?

Doesn't everyone else find it odd that it took so long for the masses to come round or take notice considering these genres (thrash, speed, etc) were around well before all that 90's derivative stuff post 2nd wave BM. Are people making their way backwards through metal history or something?

What's the word on the street?