Blind Guardian / Grave Digger shows

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
So since most of us went and saw this tour....opinions?

Grave Digger seemed to have very low audio in Chicago...Mike went in Ohio and said the same thing. Jason made a good point about it maybe being limited to only getting certain sound board plug ins.

Grave Digger were really funny to watch and they knew how to keep the crowd going. I love the mascot on stage singing along and head banging with the skull mask.

Blind Guardian bored me for the first half. Not a fan of the much newer stuff as it lacks the power of the early stuff. Some of it came across good live. Hansi sounded worse as the night went on though. I think too many fan boys are too scared to admit this. I have seen people post how amazing he sounded live.

Huge turnout too...I was shocked. Chicago has a big mix of people too..lots of non metal types, hipsters, and then some regulars I see at shows.

I liked Concord but it gets way to hot in there.

Agreed, vocals could have definitely been louder for Grave Digger. Chris definitely knows how to keep an audience involved and im sure it works much better in Europe.

I enjoyed seeing BG for my first time, i thought they were awesome, even though Hansi's voice wasnt perfect and sounded strained at some points. Good mixed setlist from different albums. But they really need to cut out the 10 minutes of the crowd singing the same thing over and over. I'd rather have 2 more songs than that.

Very hot when youre in the crowd, agreed bob.

Agreed, vocals could have definitely been louder for Grave Digger. Chris definitely knows how to keep an audience involved and im sure it works much better in Europe.

I enjoyed seeing BG for my first time, i thought they were awesome, even though Hansi's voice wasnt perfect and sounded strained at some points. Good mixed setlist from different albums. But they really need to cut out the 10 minutes of the crowd singing the same thing over and over. I'd rather have 2 more songs than that.

Very hot when youre in the crowd, agreed bob.

It was so funny...you looked so bored watching the show...or is that how you always look?

I looked over and saw Pat who looked either like he was standing up sleeping or stoned.

I thought Blind Guardian were great. Hansi's vox might not be what they used to be, but it was hard to tell when there were 500+ people singing along with him. The setlist was awesome, except for "The Ninth Wave." Lousy song and terrible choice for an opener. But I got to hear the songs I wanted most: "Lost in the Twilight Hall," "Valhalla," and "Mirror Mirror."

I thought Blind Guardian were great. Hansi's vox might not be what they used to be, but it was hard to tell when there were 500+ people singing along with him. The setlist was awesome, except for "The Ninth Wave." Lousy song and terrible choice for an opener. But I got to hear the songs I wanted most: "Lost in the Twilight Hall," "Valhalla," and "Mirror Mirror."

I am not a big fan of the newer stuff. The first part of the set list was weaker. the songs are not bad...just not catchy as much as the earlier stuff. The crowd loved it all.

I was amazed at the turnout. Much more than last time.

the MA show was fantastic. Grave Digger kicked ass. I was giddy seeing them. I could do without the extra-musical stuff, but I understand 80s bands feel a need to do that kind of stuff. I was starved for another Blind Guardian show and IMO this one surpassed the last time I saw them, in 2006. Hansi was in better form now (this show was in the 1st week of the tour) and even went for some higher notes that he did not try for in 2006. As far as bigger metal shows go, they don't get much better than this. It was also noticeable that the packed crowd included a lot of non-metal people who came out because of BG.

the MA show was fantastic. Grave Digger kicked ass. I was giddy seeing them. I could do without the extra-musical stuff, but I understand 80s bands feel a need to do that kind of stuff. I was starved for another Blind Guardian show and IMO this one surpassed the last time I saw them, in 2006. Hansi was in better form now (this show was in the 1st week of the tour) and even went for some higher notes that he did not try for in 2006. As far as bigger metal shows go, they don't get much better than this. It was also noticeable that the packed crowd included a lot of non-metal people who came out because of BG.
I was there too and thought both bands were amazing. I was never a big Grave Digger fan but I agree that they put on a great show with lots of energy. Even my brother who had never heard of them before seemed to really enjoy them. If the audio was low I did not notice. It was interesting when they left the stage to see a lot of the old school mosh pit crowd leave to be replaced with the short-haired, tucked-in shirt crowd.

Blind Guardian played mostly older and newer songs with very few from my favorite period (Somewhere Far Beyond through Nightfall) though I didn’t mind. Even though I’m not that fond of the newer stuff, I appreciated that it was a very different setlist than the last time I saw them.

Highlights:
- Because it was Halloween we got 2 bonus songs: “Wizard’s Crown” and “Barbara Ann”.
- Also, a lot of people dressed in costumes. Hansi was dressed as Elvis and the rest of the band were undead jesters. People in the audience included wizards, zombies, a pink Power Ranger, Madonna, and Sonic the Hedgehog.
- When they started playing “The Bard’s Song” the guy next to me said “Let’s all put our arms around each other and sing!” So we did.
- "Into The Storm"

Blind Guardian played mostly older and newer songs with very few from my favorite period (Somewhere Far Beyond through Nightfall) though I didn’t mind.

When Hansi started talking about Tanelorn, I thought they were actually going to play The Quest for Tanelorn from SFB which is one of my favorite songs by them - not one I would ever expect to hear nowadays. When I realized they were (of course) playing the newer song Tanelorn I was like "Oh...okay then." I like that song too, but I was ready to flip out if they actually did Quest.

Went primarily for GD and ended up being a bit bored by BG. Maybe if they played Time Stands Still, Sadly Sings Destiny or Don't Break the Circle (Demon cover).

When Hansi started talking about Tanelorn, I thought they were actually going to play The Quest for Tanelorn from SFB which is one of my favorite songs by them - not one I would ever expect to hear nowadays. When I realized they were (of course) playing the newer song Tanelorn I was like "Oh...okay then." I like that song too, but I was ready to flip out if they actually did Quest.
Yeah, I had the same reaction to that.