Bliss - do you want it?

As always your very simplistic and powerful argument is a spur for my thoughts - I always feel like I'm in denial in any discussion along these lines with you, which perhaps I am, but so be it :lol:

It seems to me, that the only reason I am able to attach value to my happiness is because it is in contrast to other states, remembered from the past and perceived to be of potential in the future. A cherishing of the moment perhaps? 'Happiness' may still 'feel' the same without such a value attached to it... but without value, well, it's worthless.

:oops: aww, thanks for the kinds words. nice way to start the day.

I've always had a problem with what is evidently a Christian apologetic for what is frankly just a bad hypothesis (it was Hume who pointed it out---natural religion infers from the idea of a perfect creator that there must be a heaven because of injustice here, when the observation should be, from the injustice here there is no perfect creator and thus no heaven either)---a popular answer to the problem of evil is that it's part of God's beneficence, 'without the bad you couldn't recognise the good'. I have a problem with it because I didn't need to tear ligaments in my knee to give an orgasm the thumbs up, why I didn't even need a paper-cut, I'd have been quite happy to know ice-cream was better than custard and orgasms were better than ice-cream, and appreciate the great things in life with a wholly 0 to 10 scale rather than -10 to 10. And really, the elegance with which 'living things strive to stay alive, and pain motivates avoidance of that which is not conducive to live' wraps things up is just profound compared with this absurd conspiracy theory of a creator. I prefer, what seems rather similar but isn't, what Alan Watts said, "to be more sensitive to pleasure you have to be more sensitive to pain", simple as that, it's an inevitability of the function, a function useful for attraction and aversion, and those motivations are sufficient to say why we have them, no 'well, the man with the blueprints thought we'd enjoy pleasure more if we were miserable' necessary.

fuck, I know I'm ranting, sorry :lol:

To me, that value is inherent, very much instinctual. I think if we first look at pain we can reflect on happiness and see the same thing. You would be in a lot of peril if you had to decide how you felt about injury (or even things that cause harm, think of a revulsion of leeches on the body, or fear in the face of wild animals) when it occurred. The nervous system is programmed to the core. You may not recognise that you value not being in pain if you've never experienced it, that makes sense, but you certainly do, simply by the fact that it's not painful to experience 'no pain'... a truism I know, but you see the point---that we can even distinguish one thing as unpleasant and another as pleasant suggests we already have a valuing of things ('psychological hedonism' is roughly accurate, I disagree only partially, as it doesn't take all too human facets into account). With happiness the same, I argue that we already value the absence of all things upsetting, and that's a fundamental prerequisite to actually doing anything about an upset. Certainly it has no worth in our worthless existence, and if you woke up with a profound amnesia you would probably be incapable of appreciating your comfy bed, night's rest, and health, as you normally would, having the gratitude that comes from knowing there is an alternative one might well experience, and an undesirable one at that, but here getting to the heart of things, I don't see how there would be a terrible thing in an impossible thought experiment of going through life entirely happy and never being able to truly appreciate that life as any normal human would.

I think an inclination to think poorly of/look down on/think ourselves proper in refusing these ideas of mindless existence, of no appreciation of the possibilities of life, of consuming but producing nothing, achieving nothing, having been nothing to other people and the like all come from an assumption that there is something meaningful in life. But in absence of an argument affirming that there is, it's our duty to to call into question the validity of our inclinations, to, in the light of reason, as Aldous Huxley said, "pass judgment on what our desires and dislikes affirm to be good or bad". Hypothesis: we should pity all the people who never have children (me, you?, many people), great, there's an idea, perhaps a hypothesis someone our there has an emotional bias toward... but, we/they need to first affirm that it is actually more valuable to have a child than not, and if we cannot, though we may already have our own personal preference, we need to reserve any ranking of the worth of both such lives, and go forth challenging our feelings in light of the fact what direction they may push us toward may not in fact be any better, or vice versa.

This is something that came to mind recently, since the few occasions of being called a sociopath for my views... I realized that I'm most certainly not, because I have compassionate inclinations, even for cute little animals, what the thing is though is simply that I recognise that these are baseless and thus not a fair standard to dictate the conduct of my life---I don't want to kill anyone, but if war came to my nation I may well fight for my life. I like to relax, but sometimes I push my muscles and struggle in discomfort or pain. But you see, I have no reason to say 'only what is most agreeable to my sentiments is what I shall do with my life', what I philosophically understand is an acceptable or valuable thing to do I may well be right to overcome my fear or revulsion or pain to achieve, that's what it comes down to, a virtuousness over the dictates of emotion, an adherence to reason.

Seditious said:
You may not recognise that you value not being in pain if you've never experienced it, that makes sense, but you certainly do, simply by the fact that it's not painful to experience 'no pain'

Seditious said:
But you see, I have no reason to say 'only what is most agreeable to my sentiments is what I shall do with my life', what I philosophically understand is an acceptable or valuable thing to do I may well be right to overcome my fear or revulsion or pain to achieve, that's what it comes down to, a virtuousness over the dictates of emotion, an adherence to reason.

These 2 points particularly struck me. In the first you argue that whether we understand it or not, some states are hardwired in to us as 'good' and 'bad'. But then you state that you may strive to overcome such hardwired notions because of your reasoned values, yes?

It appears to me that your philosophical investigations perhaps stop at the 'I am hardwired to want life and happiness' point... perhaps because you believe no understanding can be made beyond this? I look at and accept the life / happiness desire, but also ask why - my rationality tells me that everything I know, every interaction I perceive, is occurring for a reason, whether I understand it or not. Rather than cave entirely to the bodily desire for the feeling of happiness, my own rationality causes me to want to live for the *reasons* we have happiness, not just what I perceive as happiness itself. If I do not at present understand the reasons, I am still more inclined to accept that they are there, I guess because of a belief (based in large part on inference) that on some level, existence must 'make sense' or else it would not be occurring. And I guess if it doesn't make sense, then I'm not really losing anything by assuming that it does :p

These 2 points particularly struck me. In the first you argue that whether we understand it or not, some states are hardwired in to us as 'good' and 'bad'. But then you state that you may strive to overcome such hardwired notions because of your reasoned values, yes?

yes.
Seems consistent enough to me if you remember to factor in that some things are valued more than others.
Sure I have a mild dislike of doing the dishes, but I value clean dishes more than I value not doing that boring shit---so far I haven't stopped disliking it (though I probably could if I made a habit of thinking differently about it), or think of pain, I don't 'like' pain any more than I ever did, but I do like health and fitness more than I dislike mild pain, the hardwired 'bad' is still there, but the conceptual 'good' has the power to persuade me to enduce it intentionally as a means to that long-term goal.

It appears to me that your philosophical investigations perhaps stop at the 'I am hardwired to want life and happiness' point... perhaps because you believe no understanding can be made beyond this?
investigations regarding human drive, maybe. but I'm still curious about the mind, brain, free will, instinct, language etc. and life/ethics type investigations which I focus more on, as I feel satisfied I have a foundation to build on and don't see any cracks to spend time mending instead of continuing construction.

I look at and accept the life / happiness desire, but also ask why - my rationality tells me that everything I know, every interaction I perceive, is occurring for a reason, whether I understand it or not. Rather than cave entirely to the bodily desire for the feeling of happiness, my own rationality causes me to want to live for the *reasons* we have happiness, not just what I perceive as happiness itself.

aaaaaaaaaah, very good!
lol, this is a matter which (as far as my writings are going, looks to be the whole second of three volumes, and perhaps the most original thing I have to say) is extremely important, and I'm really not willing to go into my hypothesis on this specific matter of our nature, but I have absolutely dealt with this, and feel it too is perfectly resolved (and the cherry on top is it even deals with one of the stronger arguments of theists). Those concerns are exactly what need to be argued next, but, yea, I truly am sorry to leave you hanging like that lol

Sure I would do it. I spend most of my time down on my dick anyways. I don't live a great life as it is, Why not feel like I'm in heaven all the time?

On the downside that sounds like you would lose all you inhibitions & emotions, which would suck. You would lose a lot of your traits that make you you. YOu might lose any real drive you have to become something & wind up a really happy hobo who just shits his pants all the time.

Sure I would do it. I spend most of my time down on my dick anyways. I don't live a great life as it is, Why not feel like I'm in heaven all the time?

On the downside that sounds like you would lose all you inhibitions & emotions, which would suck. You would lose a lot of your traits that make you you. YOu might lose any real drive you have to become something & wind up a really happy hobo who just shits his pants all the time.

I envision the thought experiment like The Matrix, brain-in-a-vat, such that you have nothing to have inhibitions about, not only because you're too happy to care, but because anything you feel you're doing, isn't actually happening in the real world but is entirely psychological.

the other concern you raise is one I addressed in some thread (I think I made) long ago, and in this one also, why do you want a lot of the traits that make you you---supposing you never have to type anything again, why would you mind losing the skill of touch-typing, or if you never had to cook again, the talent as a chef? the reason we want these things is because we use them or think they will one day be necessary or useful, so if you truly never had to do these things ever again, why wouldn't you want to be you stripped of your now permanently useless talents (useless even for making money, helping others, bragging rights, anything at all).

Hm, taking another spin through this thread I think the whole thing smacks of dualism. There's no homunculus sitting in your head that could be whisked off to the matrix; you ARE your head. And you are the intentional object interacting within human society, the most interesting branch on the tree of life. Why do I want these traits? Because I am these traits. Want aint got nothin to do with it. Even speaking of the "I" shedding the body and all the related humdrum of life is absurd, in my opinion. It would be no less a departure into "a great nothing" than death.

Buddhists see life as a permanent state of grasping at things to which we can never firmly cling. I think that the state implied by our thought experiment really resembles nirvana. And nirvana, I think, is spiritual euthanasia.

Descartes' error was to separate reasoning from emotion and the mind from the body, which would make sense in a rational world. In reality life isn't rational, and grasping is all we have. Call me a puritan, but I think there's something cowardly about suicide.