Bloodbath´s Nightmares Made Flesh Guitar Sound

Fuentealba

Hyperblaster
Sep 26, 2006
Santiago, Chile
I don´t know if someone asked about this (I did a proper search BTW).

Dan What amps were used on Nightmares Made Flesh?

the tone is amazing, how did you get it?

cheers!

Don't forget Jens Bogren engineered NMF ;) Dan recorded guitars for his tracks, not for the other 8. Jens probably has a bigger part in how the guitars sound.

The sound was created using a BOSS HM-2 into a Marshall DSL50 50W head and a 4X12" Marshall cabinet. Jens miked it with a bunch of different mikes. SM57, Royer ribbon and AKG 414, might have been a MD421 there too, or a U87..don´t remember. he blended all those onto one track and tracked that.

Reactions: ZRhett
RTC was a bit weirder. I used a HM-2 into a Digitech GNX2 preamp. I used the Marshall-amp and Speakeremulation. Later on I used the Free Filter plug-in to "rip" the guitartone EQ from Left Hand Path (using the Intro from "Drowned") and applied that to my own "try". It turned out really broken and like a chainsaw ear fuck!!! Just the way I wanted it!!

Dan Swanö;7262399 said:
RTC was a bit weirder. I used a HM-2 into a Digitech GNX2 preamp. I used the Marshall-amp and Speakeremulation. Later on I used the Free Filter plug-in to "rip" the guitartone EQ from Left Hand Path (using the Intro from "Drowned") and applied that to my own "try". It turned out really broken and like a chainsaw ear fuck!!! Just the way I wanted it!!

:headbang:
Dude!you are fucking awsome!
I could always get SOOO painfully close to duplicating RTC tone,But something was always missing.Now that i know,my life is officially complete.:worship:
Thanks for keeping your fans "on the inside".

Dan Swanö;7262399 said:

The Free Filter Plug-in? Is that the name of the filter or do you just mean a random free filter?
Stupid question perhaps. Ursäkta i sånafall.
You did an amazing job on that album.
:headbang:

Howdy. The best EQ ripper at the moment is Voxengo Curve EQ. 60 bands of stealing nice curves!! I just ripped off the Clandestine guitarsound for Entrails and it sounds so close it is spooky ;) Cannot play with it inserted though, it adds tons of latency :/

See ya

D

I'm also a CurveEQ user :rolleyes:
Allthough I mostly rip with only 7 bands.
Btw. Dan I have the Entrails demo tape. On that they have been really close to the old hm-2 sound also.
I wonder what you cooked there for the new one :)

I appreciate this is a very old thread now but I'm currently writing a dissertation on the use of distortion in Metal recordings and was wondering if I could get more detail on how the HM-2 was used. Did you have the gain all the way up on the pedal or was the Hm-2 just used to 'shape' the tone with the gain high on the amp? I know a lot of guitarists do just use the HM-2 for its tone and have the gain very low. Thanks \m/

https://soundcloud.com/neilwilliams/lifeless2-m4a

I appreciate this is a very old thread now but I'm currently writing a dissertation on the use of distortion in Metal recordings and was wondering if I could get more detail on how the HM-2 was used. Did you have the gain all the way up on the pedal or was the Hm-2 just used to 'shape' the tone with the gain high on the amp? I know a lot of guitarists do just use the HM-2 for its tone and have the gain very low. Thanks m/

https://soundcloud.com/neilwilliams/lifeless2-m4a

When it comes to Swedish Death Metal it's usually all the knobs of the HM-2 on 10 and I'm pretty sure I've read Dan saying that that's the way it was used in another thread.

this is the guy who wrote a book on it :)

but supposedly you might also place a tubescreamer and then into a marshall:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I'm aware most just stick everything on 10, both guitarists in my band do exactly the same (listen to the track I linked in my first post). Have also referenced Ekeroth already, just trying to find evidence of someone with a slightly different approach that will give me an argument for experimentation :)

Thanks guys!

Yeah I'm aware most just stick everything on 10, both guitarists in my band do exactly the same (listen to the track I linked in my first post). Have also referenced Ekeroth already, just trying to find evidence of someone with a slightly different approach that will give me an argument for experimentation :)

Thanks guys!

Huh. Where are you writing your diss? I am, too (but in something completely unrelated to music). A dissertation with Swano... fuck, I need to change fields.

Huh. Where are you writing your diss? I am, too (but in something completely unrelated to music). A dissertation with Swano... fuck, I need to change fields.

Ha, not specifically on Swano :p It's on the impact of distortion when recording down-tuned guitars and as the HM-2 is about as bad-ass as a distortion pedal can get I'm definitely including it :)