13. Breeding Death (demo)
14. Ominous Bloodvomit (demo)

Label: Century Media Records
Release date: 2005, March 8
Artist site:
http://www.bloodbath.biz/

GRADE:
8/10

Every time I look at the album cover or think about the album title of BLOODBATH’s latest endeavor, Nightmares Made Flesh, I think of the Clive Barker classic, Hellraiser. Now, I don’t have a lyric booklet with my promo, so I don’t know if that’s the intent, but regardless, BLOODBATH have taken their brand of brutality a step further and as guitarist Anders Nystrom puts it, “proves no longer to be a tribute to death metal, but death metal’s very own elite.” That remark may seem a bit egotistical coming from one of the band’s own members, but there may be a little truth to that statement.

First thing noticed are the line up changes. Mikael Akerfeldt (OPETH) is out, replacing him is Peter Tagtgren (HYPOCRISY). Dan Swano has also switched instruments, moving to guitar and making way for Martin Axenrot (WITCHERY) behind the drumkit; thus, making BLODDBATH a five piece with Anders Nystrom (KATATONIA, DIABLOCAL MASQUERADE) and Jonas Renske (KATATONIA) still on guitar and bass respectfully.

I love how they’ve managed to have that modern Abyss sound mixed with the old Sunlight sound. The duo of Nystrom and Swano on guitars sounds like a very natural progression and their approach to the songwriting has improved as well. Things are a little more technical, but they retain that simplistic edge that they’ve become known for and I think that is where they are truly successful this time around.

Highlights for me include the opening track, with it’s furious, blasting opening, ungodly time changes and Tagtgren setting the standard vocally right from the start. I love the turn the song takes at the 1:50 mark, great traditional Swedish death metal. Elsewhere, “Eaten” is a more mid-paced, down tuned stomper. Tagtgren shifts between lower, guttural growls and high pitched shrieks effortlessly. The acoustic guitar that sneaks its way in at the 2:45 mark is a nice touch, brings back memories of a forgotten era. As far as heaviness goes, “Bastard Son Of God” definitely is at or near the top of the list. Brutally fast, this one storms through and two and a half minutes later, it’s done.

How about those spooky keyboards that are buried in the mix of “The Ascension,” a track that would not have sounded out of place on an ASPHYX album, or even HYPOCRISY’s The Fourth Dimension. The only difference being that BLOODBATH probably has more time changes in their music than those two combined! “Draped In Disease” grabs me with the way they double the guitars with the bass throughout, and the slow dirge-like section is monstrous, allowing the music to almost possess an epic feel, albeit in a brutal way.

Excellent album, very well written and produced, and yes, you just had to know that Peter Tagtgren was only going to appear this one time around (he’s already gone). Nonetheless, this is a great followup to Resurrection Through Carnage, and begs the question, what is next?

PJ