Why do so many death metal elitists HATE NMF?

Cursed Lemon

New Metal Member
Sep 22, 2007
I just don't get it. :confused:

Sure I see droves of die-hard Bloodbath fans a lot of the time, but I'm finding that a lot of self-styled DM super elitists just absolute loathe Bloodbath, but Nightmares Made Flesh in particular. Among the reasons given are:

"It's boring." (lol...)

"It's overproduced."

"It's pure throwback."

"Peter Tagtgren doesn't fit at all."

"It's too technical."

etc. etc.

What is WITH some people and this album?

They're idiots, it's the best album ever made.

And from what I could tell with the junk quality samples for the new EP, production seems similar, which I am happy with. Jens Bogren is great.

Production sounds like it will be even better than NMF. The drums sounded pretty decent even with the shitty quality samples. Guitars sounded good as well.

"It's boring." (lol...)

"It's overproduced."

"It's pure throwback."

"Peter Tagtgren doesn't fit at all."

"It's too technical."

"I'll never be able to play this with my fuzz pedal!"
Fixed.

Whatever floats their little elitist boats. It's their own loss if they have a problem with it. I think Jens did an amazing job, and am hoping Unblessing is of similar quality.

. . . . .Yeah I know what you mean CursedSpawnMan - to me it seems like most "death metal elitists" prefer shitty production for some reason . . . i guess they enjoy hearing all that white noise, static, and dull guitar sounds that accompany most death metal cd's, i guess if it doesn't have crappy production then its not "true death" . . . .whatever

. . . . .Yeah I know what you mean CursedSpawnMan - to me it seems like most "death metal elitists" prefer shitty production for some reason . . . i guess they enjoy hearing all that white noise, static, and dull guitar sounds that accompany most death metal cd's, i guess if it doesn't have crappy production then its not "true death" . . . .whatever

I cant tell you how many times I have talked to various friends and they have said "Oh you like them? They sold out! I only like 'Satanic Bloodfart' because they don't make a single cent and they play in the garage next door! I'm so broooooooooootal for listening to them".

Just because they are your best friends and have never been heard of doesn't make them the most brutal band ever. Chances are they suck and you are just namedropping them to sound like you are into really underground stuff.

My honest opinion is that anyone who doesn't like Bloodbath is a completely poser, because they are incredible musicians made of of members from incredible bands. To say they suck is to say you like shitty music. And NMF is a great album, regardless of your vocalist preference.

I don't see how you can say that album "sucks" unless you really do just like awful music.

-D

I like Nightmares Made Flesh better than I did at first, but I still don't like it nearly as much as Resurrection Through Carnage. I personally listen to just about no Death metal outside of Bloodbath, so I have nothing to compare them to really. I just love that sick guitar tone on Resurrection Through Carnage. I also prefer Mike's vocals.

Another thing about Nightmares Made Flesh is that it seems like just a thrown together album. On each of the songs that they wrote, Anders, Jonas, and Swanö just played all guitars and bass themselves. With the exception of a guest soloist on some tracks. So, it doesn't even seem like a united band album. The addition of Peter almost seems like a last minute replacement, or just a big name to put on the album. I don't think that he fit in as well as someone else could have, such as someone unknown. I almost doubt that he was their first, or even second choice, but I don't know that for sure. It just never seemed like he was really part of the band, and in the end, he really wasn't, as he did not do the Wacken show with them.

I still like the album. I am just giving out the reasons why I like Resurrection Through Carnage better. It will always be a debate, but everyone has their own reasons and opinions why they like the one better than the other.

RTC is my favorite album as well. Bathe In Blood is one of my top 5 songs of all time next to "Flagellation" and "Baphomet's Throne" by Samael, but I still think NMF is better than most of the average stuff put out there. So saying that NMF is my least favorite is still saying that its better than most of the other stuff I like.

:D

-D

I can see how there is some people that would rather listen to older DM records/demos like Unleashed, Dismember, Grave, Nihilist, Morbid, Carnage etc.... or listen to newer bands that do the sound justice nowadays like Verminous or Repugnant....or Bloodbath...

Seriously though...why do you guys care? Does it keep you up knowing your friend likes something different then you? People liking what they like does not make them a poser...It makes them unique and not another carbon copy like yourself. Move on.

No it doesn't keep me up at night, I just agree with DustyP - and just don't get people who walk around with their "pocket bands" that no one has ever heard of and think that that particular band is the most awesome thing ever.

I like the two first albums better. But that doesn't mean I hate NMF. They started out as a "sideproject" to have fun and make some old school death metal music. They also did that with "Breeding Death" and I also think they did ok with RTC. But when NMF came it dissapointed me. Suddenly they had gotten to serious and with that the glow for the original idea was gone.

I still think NMF is a decent album.

Hmm...one of the benefits of not knowing too many cats that are into heavier music. All of my friends prefer Nightmares Made Flesh to Resurrection Through Carnage/Breeding Death.

Anyways, I love Nightmares Made Flesh...really do, but I see it as a gateway album. As soon as it was released I thought "goddamn, the next album is going to really do something with the metal world," simply because they finally showed off their capabilities as a band that is no longer a simple tribute old school death metal. Come the EP/next album, we're really going to see what Bloodbath can do.

I, among many others I'm sure, am very excited.

I think its pretty simple.
NMF has a more modern sound - thats why people who are into oldschool DM preffer BD and RTC.

xyxthumbs.gif

I like NMF, but I dont übermasturbate to the songs as many other people do. Guess I just prefer the rawer 90's sound of RTC to the more standard NMF sound. It has nothing to do with elitism really, rather personal preference

Honestly...I don't think it's like some crowning achievement like some people here think. I mean...it's a great record and all, but I like other stuff better(even some of those bands you never heard of :) ) ...And maybe I'll be in the minority, but I get into the Breeding Death EP way more than anything else...but the new one is shaping out to sound like it's going to be their best stuff.

The song compositions on NMF blew RTC out of the water I beleive. If they would have kept the "old school sound" I'm sure you would all agree. I very much disliked the sound on RTC, but like a few people here with NMF, I still listen too it now and again.

I prefer the HM-2 sound and I think they did an unbelievable job to have it sound as good as it did on RTC. To me there are a whole lot of factors that make RTC a great record and NMF a good one. I prefer the songs, the vocals and the sunlight-gone-modern guitar sound.